2023 Fishing Success Thread

One of my favorite places to watch fishing shows from is Lake Michigan when the smallies are on attack. Mark Zona does quite a few shows from Lake Michigan

Back when California had water we used to knock the crap out of the smallies in our local creek. Wasn’t ever more than 6ft deep at the deepest pool but it had enough feed to hold lots of 2-3lbers. Used to grab a rod and jump on my atv and head down there in the evenings after school (Or spend off days down there) riding hole to hole ripping lip. Tossing soft craws and craw imitating hard plastics.

Back when California had water we used to knock the crap out of the smallies in our local creek. Wasn’t ever more than 6ft deep at the deepest pool but it had enough feed to hold lots of 2-3lbers. Used to grab a rod and jump on my atv and head down there in the evenings after school (Or spend off days down there) riding hole to hole ripping lip. Tossing soft craws and craw imitating hard plastics.
And to Rausch’s point I have caught two at the same time on the double treble hard plastics, several times.

My annual smallmouth trip took a turn south with 4” of rain a couple days before we left. So we fished the lake rather than the river. Not as fun but catching 3# white bass on UL tackle helped our hurt feelings. The food wasn’t bad either.
IMG_3292.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3298.jpeg
    IMG_3298.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3085.jpeg
    IMG_3085.jpeg
    754.6 KB · Views: 2
My annual smallmouth trip took a turn south with 4” of rain a couple days before we left. So we fished the lake rather than the river. Not as fun but catching 3# white bass on UL tackle helped our hurt feelings. The food wasn’t bad either.
View attachment 1691
HG

As a younger man in my early twenties we used to drive to Fremont Ohio for the annual May 1st season opening of white bass. We wade out into the Sandusky River and would freeze our nads off🥶 This was way before any neoprene waiders come out. the only insulation we had was Budweiser at that time. We were allowed 50 a day and that didn't take long.

I loved your story thank you.

HG

As a younger man in my early twenties we used to drive to Fremont Ohio for the annual May 1st season opening of white bass. We wade out into the Sandusky River and would freeze our nads off🥶 This was way before any neoprene waiders come out. the only insulation we had was Budweiser at that time. We were allowed 50 a day and that didn't take long.

Joe,
Thanks, I love catching the whites when they’re running! A little extra work with the fillet knife and they’re fine table fare. This year’s run (we caught the very beginning) was also mucked up by high waters and colder than normal temperatures. Last year I hit it big with 2 25-fish limits on consecutive weekend trips. All on UL tackle and kayaks.

The snake river through Hells Canyon is like that. It’s hard to not catch a smallie on every cast. Not many the size of the ones you catch there though. Several times a day you’ll 2 in one cast!
Same is true of the Owyhee River above the reservoir. We nailed the smallies on C.J. Strike reservoir last month. Too much good fishing to write about in Idaho. Here is my fishing buddy Kyle's Rainbow from the South Fork of the Boise a few years ago.
kyle's fish.jpg

Same is true of the Owyhee River above the reservoir. We nailed the smallies on C.J. Strike reservoir last month. Too much good fishing to write about in Idaho. Here is my fishing buddy Kyle's Rainbow from the South Fork of the Boise a few years ago.
View attachment 1706
Dang it! Now I have to pack MORE gear when I visit the In-Laws!🤣🤣

HG

50 fish, or 50 Budweisers?

Back