308 WIN 154 HHT Range Report

BFD

Hammer Time Executive member
IMG_9744.jpeg
IMG_9755.jpeg
22” CF Bartlein 1/10T:

IMR 3031 - Once again a sweetheart powder for my Hammer use. Less felt recoil, no residual smoke lingering after shot. Had to zero the scope with it, but talk about great tracking and 2 shot groups. 41.5gr coming next to hopefully hit 2800fps

AA2520 - 2fps SD and that group? Yeah, I’m done testing that one. It did produce some smoke, but oh well. I hit the wall of performance with that powder out the gate.

TAC - I was pretty much baked in the 95 F. Temp. I shot like crap, but as usual TAC is an ES monster.

Got click top of bolt throw/extraction with AA2520 and TAC. None with 3031 yet.

2.765 COL puts crimp fully into 1st PDR

Last edited:
View attachment 1385View attachment 1384
Left to right: 22” CF Bartlein 1/10T

IMR 3031 - Once again a sweetheart powder for my Hammer use. Less felt recoil, no residual smoke lingering after shot. Had to zero the scope with it, but talk about great tracking and 2 shot groups. 41.5gr coming next to hopefully hit 2800fps

AA2520 - 2fps SD and that group? Yeah, I’m done testing that one. It did produce some smoke, but oh well. I hit the wall of performance with that powder out the gate.

TAC - I was pretty much baked in the 95 F. Temp. I shot like crap, but as usual TAC is an ES monster.

Got click top of bolt throw/extraction with AA2520 and TAC. None with 3031 yet.
Watching this development!🤘

137HH with TAC hitting 3000fps today. So, what is going to be better. The 137 HH 3000fps or 154 HHT at 2800fps?

Both, with pictures please 🤓

Thanks for the write up!
Velocity bracket would probably reveal the answer to that! I’m debating trying the 154 HHT against our 3040-3090 fps 151AH TAC load…

You know, I wonder about that too... I'm looking forward to some terminal data points with the 154HHT.

A few years back I chose the 152SH for my .308win because I thought the big hollow point would offer superior performance in the lower part of the velocity window, but by the sounds of things, the HHT has that covered, AND a better form factor for flight!

Nice to see how accurate the new bullet is. I just got mine. I'll probably try some in my 308. I'll probably use Varget. I like that it is temperature stable. Nice looking smoke pole!

Watching your load development, as I have a short barrel 308 that I just ordered some 154 HHTs for.... If I could get TAC to work for it, that would be great!
I’ve no doubt TAC will work. One just needs to understand it’s a high ES/SD powder and divorce their anxiety over that. Just accept the accuracy and the notion most them numbers don’t matter no how within 500yds in hunting situations.

I’ve no doubt TAC will work. One just needs to understand it’s a high ES/SD powder and divorce their anxiety over that. Just accept the accuracy and the notion most them numbers don’t matter no how within 500yds in hunting situations.
I would much rather take accuracy over low ES/SD for the type of hunting I do. I have some IMR4166 that's supposed to be "temp stable" and near the same burn rate as varget. If I could get that to work, I'd also be happy.

And that's a sweet looking rifle!

Back