Beautiful Alaska and The Brown Bear

OutdoorEdventure

Staff member
97A202E5-5FD5-4561-A970-D0FD49E2E48B.jpeg

Derrick and his guide spotted this bear at the edge of the treeline. Derrick lined up his .300 WSM loaded with the 196 Hammer Hunter. Derrick's shot at 220 yards crushed the bear's elbow, and the bullet dumped into the bear's cavity. The guide took a quick follow-up shot. Upon recovery, the second shot was not necessary. They used the gutless method of cleaning and did not recover either bullet, but they found petal exits on the opposite hide.

Sounds like the guide was a little unsure of the relatively small cartridge on the big bear. Probably seen a few 30 cal train wrecks with other bullets.
Probably so, that said I met an older guide who is long gone by now, he never trusted the magnums and big boomers, had more to do with the guys who owned them though, he said few could shoot them even adequately. One exception was an older German client shooting a 9.3x64 brenneke, by the time the hunt was over the guide had a high regard for that hunter/rifle combo, even got him to help follow up a bear, which broke his number one rule of following up bears. “No hunters with loaded guns, I follow up alone or with another guide. A greenhorn with a loaded gun is more dangerous than the bear “ those were his words.

That is a gorgeous bear with even better scenery. Congrats on a trophy!!

I would be pissed if the guide followed up on a 200 yard shot. 20 yards....I get it, 200 yards let me do the kill'n. With that said, I have been with guides that before they see you shoot (in the field) it's hard to trust any hunter as it appears most hunters can't shoot worth a darn. One of the guides I hunted with 3 times said that they have about a 50% wound rate on bears. He said most people shoot to far back and they also loose their bowels when the time to pull the trigger comes. My first year with him....I finally had to tell him to "stop"!!! He kept telling how to shoot....I told him, you show me the bear and I will show you a dead bear. 150 yards big sow, .270 with 150 grain partition.....bear didn't take another step. He never questioned me again.

Current Moose / Bear guide we use stopped asking questions when he saw my son dump a bear at 500 yards. Now they just sit back and watch the show. The guide said in his strong Canadian accent..."I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes." My son was had just turned 12 years old. We shoot a lot and we have very high standards when it comes to taking the "right shot". Most hunters are not patient enough to wait and take ill advised shots on game that lead to bad shots.

Derrick, gorgeous bear. I too hunt Alaska and I'm in the infant stages of developing a .300wsm load for multiple species up here. Can you give us the details of this load and the rifle you used?

Derrick, gorgeous bear. I too hunt Alaska and I'm in the infant stages of developing a .300wsm load for multiple species up here. Can you give us the details of this load and the rifle you used?
I don’t think “Derrick” is on the forums here.
A lot of times “outdooredventure” posts these pictures and a short caption and that’s all there is to it. No one to reply or answer our questions.

Look for the hammer bullets logo in the picture, and for the successful hunts posted by outdooredventure as your clue.

Back