Mentoring a new hunter

Trubkir17

Hammer Time Executive member
I have agreed to show an older city dude how I go about hunting. I am a sit and wait kind of guy plus I use my binoculars a lot. I think this gentleman has been watching videos that portray hunting as nonstop action.
I am going to go tomorrow and see how he is with his bow and rifle. Assuming he doesn't scare the c**p with either has anyone got any tips on how to deal with an absolute rookie?

Oh wow… my only advice to a new Hunter would be “love the outdoors”. I feel like hunting is all about appreciation of nature (and our Lord the creator). Finding peace in hunting is paramount in my book, as it makes you a better hunter, and better when the hunt is unsuccessful. 🤘

Start with the basics. Get out to the range and verify/train basic weapon skills. Discuss anatomy/habitat of target species. if going after ungulates, take them out and scout locations, go shed hunting, etc…

Take a look at the pdf attached to this page: https://firsthuntfoundation.org/2022/04/mentor-guide/ It’s a very basic hunting mentor guide that we put together last year.

I have agreed to show an older city dude how I go about hunting. I am a sit and wait kind of guy plus I use my binoculars a lot. I think this gentleman has been watching videos that portray hunting as nonstop action.
I am going to go tomorrow and see how he is with his bow and rifle. Assuming he doesn't scare the c**p with either has anyone got any tips on how to deal with an absolute rookie?
This might sound like a harsh reply, but I will start with a story. A friend of mine, a retired Air Force Doctor went out to teach "an older city dude" how to shoot. He is now dead! Shot by his friend. When I was in my late 20's I had a friend come and visit who grew up in New York and wanted me to teach him how to shoot. I took the gun away in less that 10 minutes after he waved it in my face for the third time.

HAVE HIM FIND A GOOD NRA COURSE If you are going to teach him. SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY! The first hour or two should be safety instruction with an unloaded gun. I was an NRA instructor. My experience is adult learners lack awareness and the fear factor that youth do. Once you figure he knows the safety rules. It should be one round at a time for at least the first 3-4 sessions. If you are teaching hunting, it is AWARENESS of what is going on around you at all times and always know your target! You never know what adrenaline is going to do to a person. I know this guy who is the coolest and calmest guy you would every meet. He got so excited bow hunting elk a couple years ago, he shot a guy's decoy!

So be very cautious and aware tomorrow if you are going to be shooting. If he is shooting, I would have my gun put away so you can be totally focused on what he is doing. Needless to say, I am very fussy on who I hunt with or go out shooting with.

Last edited:
I have taught a few guys to hunt over the last 10 or so years. There are times that it gets very frustrating.....so my advise is don't get frustrated and be patient. Sometimes people have to learn lessons the hard way. Let him tear up a hill side for a day or two and wear himself out.....then show him the ways. Sit, glass, listen, smell, etc.

Move slow and and bite off small task.....hunting is a lifelong process. The first guy I took hunting is now an avid hunter and relatively successful on his own. My son guided him to his first bear last year which was another milestone. It really is the next stage of a lifelong hunter....teaching. The old saying....SEE ONE, DO ONE, TEACH ONE....applies. When you can teach others to hunt safely and successfully, I feel like you have a mastery of the craft. So in order of importance as I have taught new hunters.

1. Safety (firearms, survival, terrain / weather, navigation, gear, etc)
2. Scouting (e-scouting and boots on the ground).... north facing slopes with cover, feed and water always carry animals....period.
3. Shooting (ethical shot placement...not rushing. Most new hunters (and experienced) lose their bowels when it is go time....calm down and make a good shot).
4. Enjoy the hunt....the kill is the icing on the cake.
5.......find teaching moments and don't let them pass. It's OK to interrupt a hunt to teach, especially if it is a safety issue.

This makes me want to start a post of bloopers and blunders of teaching a new hunter......I have a few. My 13 y.o. son was helping guide a friend last year. It was his first year hunting seriously (he had hiked with a gun for a few years prior) and they were sitting in a tree stand looking for bear. This particular tree stand overlooks a great saddle where bear travel frequently. My friend wouldn't stop talking and my son didn't know how to tell him to shut up. After the hunt, my son tells me the story....."Dad, I didn't know how to tell him to shut the heck up." LOLOLOLO. I told my buddy and he laughed.....he said my son should have told him. My son has grown to love helping others, but now I am teaching him how to do just that. I remind my son, he use to talk a lot too.

Might be moot for adding anything constructive. Still, I am curious. Eastern or western hunting?
I assume there are sit and wait western hunters.

One of the best approaches I had with a newbie was the one shot and done. I can shoot bow in yard and had a 3D set. Asked him to shoot the animal, you have one arrow. He paunched it. I picked up 3D and put it away. He asked what the? I told him it was a one arrow shot period. He looked at me like but I need practice! I told him you don't practice on animals. Next time, he 10 ringed 3D and said he realized his focus was poor and hunting was all about focus. I still do this myself. Go shoot 3D with one arrow. Adds nice mental challenge even for experienced hunters.

One of the best approaches I had with a newbie was the one shot and done. I can shoot bow in yard and had a 3D set. Asked him to shoot the animal, you have one arrow. He paunched it. I picked up 3D and put it away. He asked what the? I told him it was a one arrow shot period. He looked at me like but I need practice! I told him you don't practice on animals. Next time, he 10 ringed 3D and said he realized his focus was poor and hunting was all about focus. I still do this myself. Go shoot 3D with one arrow. Adds nice mental challenge even for experienced hunters.
Been shooting single arrow for a few years now.
Since it’s the first shot that counts it’s best to practice that way.

An update on progress. My buddy is an irritatingly good shot. He must have had some training before as he was seamless in handling firearms at the range and when we went to a couple of fields to shoot gophers, (actually they are Richardson;s Ground Squirrels).
We also got into some 13 Lined Ground Squirrels in one field.
The reason I say irritatingly good shot was that he was printing cloverleaf groups with his Tikka at 100yds at the range. I then took him out to a gopher field and he went 24 kills in a row. Ranges were from 43yds to about 110yds in a gusty wind with an open sighted 22LR. The only reason he missed 25 was that just as the trigger broke the gopher moved.
I am looking forward to the fall. I am thinking we may go out and plunk some grouse first to get some success under our belts.

A sleeper! Gonna make your life a lot easier. Training or not occasionaly you'll find someone (usually women)who are just naturals. When I lived in Canada we used to shoot the richardson ground squirrels and the 13 striped by the hundreds. Now I live where there's prairie dogs.......they are a lot easier to hit :)

Good for you, you'll have some fun this fall. (y)

Back