Tip color

I'll be the pragmatic one here. I say black tips because nothing inside the deer is really black, so finding the tip will be easier than if it was...say...pink or red. Green is also a good alternative, based on the raw color of the polymer. Whatever incurs the least expense.

Those polymers are usually naturally monotone in color. Black, grey, or white. I think there was a thing where Magpul polymer had slightly different properties based on the dye they used to color. I think regular black was the strongest.

Are your tips metal or plastic?
Plastic. You could machine aluminum tips, but I'm sure there's another producer of monolithic bullets that may raise an eyebrow if they started doing that.

Keep it plastic, though, as the differential in mass allows the tip to be ejected faster. It also is lower cost at scale with injection molding. Injection molded tips also let you perfectly control ALL dimensions of the tip i.e. stem length, which is critical in determining how deep the projectile goes before the tip is ejected. As long as the plastic material is a tough rather than brittle one, I prefer it. Think ELD-M tip material.

Edit:
I also did some calcs based on how I have access to both aluminum and plastic tips of the same protrusion length, and I'll say that plastic tips being less dense have a better S.G. outcome than if they were aluminum. Another pro for plastic tips.

Last edited:
Plastic. You could machine aluminum tips, but I'm sure there's another producer of monolithic bullets that may raise an eyebrow if they started doing that.

Keep it plastic, though, as the differential in mass allows the tip to be ejected faster. It also is lower cost at scale with injection molding. Injection molded tips also let you perfectly control ALL dimensions of the tip i.e. stem length, which is critical in determining how deep the projectile goes before the tip is ejected. As long as the plastic material is a tough athe than brittle one, I prefer it. Think ELD-M tip material.
Pragmatism is so boring!😜

They are polymer. Is there regulation somewhere against tips?
I don't know, that's why I asked.

I can remember some chatter a few years ago about some tipped bullets being able to pierce protective clothing. I don't remember the details but it seems like some bullet mfg had to stop making some type of bullet. May have been Barnes.

I can remember some chatter a few years ago about some tipped bullets being able to pierce protective clothing. I don't remember the details but it seems like some bullet mfg had to stop making some type of bullet. May have been Barnes.
If that's true, it must've been tipped with steel. Aluminum or brass wouldn't cut it, as Fort Scott makes an all brass TUI bullet that isn't regulated. Also, Hornady (A-tip) and Badlands (bulldozer) makes aluminum tipped bullets, while Peregrine monolithic makes brass tipped, drive band bullets.

Last edited:

Years ago I recall chatter about steel core ammo that can penetrate light body armor. I cant remember if they outlawed them or the fad just died off.

Back