Weatherby 30-378....

jrebel

Hammer Time Executive member
Considering a Weatherby 30-378 as a new rifle to load for. My only concern is the standard / factory twist rate is 1:10 so I am limited to the 180 ish grain HH line. I imagine the 182 HHT would be a phenomenal pill for said chambering. Any thoughts??? Anyone loaded for this chambering have any insight. I didn't find much on the hammer hunter load chart.

I have loaded for that cartridge with several different pills. I found it hard to load for and quite inefficient. Also if there's worse brass than Weatherby's I haven't found it. At least 10% of the brass I got would not eject because the case head was as much as .013 undersize. I would pick a 300 ultra mag or 300 Norma over that cartridge all day long. My 30 Nosler with a long throat doesn't give up much to the 30-378 and it does it with a lot less powder.

JM2C

Regards

I have loaded for that cartridge with several different pills. I found it hard to load for and quite inefficient. Also if there's worse brass than Weatherby's I haven't found it. At least 10% of the brass I got would not eject because the case head was as much as .013 undersize. I would pick a 300 ultra mag or 300 Norma over that cartridge all day long. My 30 Nosler with a long throat doesn't give up much to the 30-378 and it does it with a lot less powder.

JM2C

Regards
That is the kind of review that makes asking the question on these sites worth while. Thanks for that insight at this point I would rather stay with the 338 lapua pushing light for caliber HH's. With the Lapua, I have a wide selection of brass and the twist rate will stabilize a wider range of bullets. Same rough powder usage with a lot more advantages.

Last edited:
That is the kind of review that makes asking the question on these sites worth while. Thanks for that insight at this point I would rather stay with the 338 lapua pushing light for caliber HH's. With the Lapua, I have a wide selection of brass and the twist rate will stabilize a wider range of bullets. Same rough powder usage with a lot more advantages.
You hunting armored Tryanasaur? LOL I'd imagine a 338 LM would require a heavy rifle to manage that bad boy.

Considering a Weatherby 30-378 as a new rifle to load for. My only concern is the standard / factory twist rate is 1:10 so I am limited to the 180 ish grain HH line. I imagine the 182 HHT would be a phenomenal pill for said chambering. Any thoughts??? Anyone loaded for this chambering have any insight. I didn't find much on the hammer hunter load chart.
I did a quick velocity check on 166HH and 180HH today in my 30-378.
166g HH 100g H1000, 3124 fps
180g HH 96g H1000, 3049 fps

You hunting armored Tryanasaur? LOL I'd imagine a 338 LM would require a heavy rifle to manage that bad boy.
I have a 338 lapua that pushes the 260 HH at 2930 (if my memory serves me) and it is a pleasure to shoot. It is a 13 -14 lbs rifle.

I'm thinking if I drop 3-4 lbs off the rifle and push 180-220 grain HH's, it would be a killing machine. It would also be easier to pack around. I can tell you with 100% certainty......those 260 flat get work done. It is also my most accurate rifle shooting sub 3/4" at 200 yards all day long. My 12 y.o. son shot a HUGEEEEE black bear last year with that rifle and it was dead before gravity assisted it to the ground.

I did a quick velocity check on 166HH and 180HH today in my 30-378.
166g HH 100g H1000, 3124 fps
180g HH 96g H1000, 3049 fps
That is pretty anti climactic!!! Why so slow??? I had others say that Weatherby rifles are more accurate at the lower velocity spectrum, but both of those rounds appear anemic with that much powder. We are pushing 180 grain accubonds out of a 300 wsm at 3000 fps. I would imagine with 180 HH I could get as fast as your 180 grain with 2/3 the powder.

Reactions: les
That is pretty anti climactic!!! Why so slow??? I had others say that Weatherby rifles are more accurate at the lower velocity spectrum, but both of those rounds appear anemic with that much powder. We are pushing 180 grain accubonds out of a 300 wsm at 3000 fps. I would imagine with 180 HH I could get as fast as your 180 grain with 2/3 the powder.
Bought this rifle used and getting tuned into what it can do. Barrel has had some use.

I have a 338 lapua that pushes the 260 HH at 2930 (if my memory serves me) and it is a pleasure to shoot. It is a 13 -14 lbs rifle.

I'm thinking if I drop 3-4 lbs off the rifle and push 180-220 grain HH's, it would be a killing machine. It would also be easier to pack around. I can tell you with 100% certainty......those 260 flat get work done. It is also my most accurate rifle shooting sub 3/4" at 200 yards all day long. My 12 y.o. son shot a HUGEEEEE black bear last year with that rifle and it was dead before gravity assisted it to the ground.
Pics or it didn't happen... 🤪 :ROFLMAO:

One the guys I hunted with in Oregon used a 338-378. He was part of our group that spent 23 days hunting in Montana just before I moved to Idaho. I saw him take a nice whitetail at over 900 yards. That was John's goal - to be a long range hunter. So my question is what is going to be the purpose of a 30-378? What is your goal with the 30-378? Nothing wrong for just wanting the biggest 30 commercially available. From my research, I think if it is to be a long-range shooter, the 338 in several renditions will out perform the 30 cal. This is coming from a guy who shoots a 300 RUM. I wanted a 300 RUM again for several reasons. One was I never tamed the beast the first time I owned one. Second, I really like hunting desert mule deer. It is nice having a flat shooting rifle when there can be 600-700 yard shots. I like to keep them under 500 if at all possible. I must admit, I just like shooting boomers!! :geek:

One the guys I hunted with in Oregon used a 338-378. He was part of our group that spent 23 days hunting in Montana just before I moved to Idaho. I saw him take a nice whitetail at over 900 yards. That was John's goal - to be a long range hunter. So my question is what is going to be the purpose of a 30-378? What is your goal with the 30-378? Nothing wrong for just wanting the biggest 30 commercially available. From my research, I think if it is to be a long-range shooter, the 338 in several renditions will out perform the 30 cal. This is coming from a guy who shoots a 300 RUM. I wanted a 300 RUM again for several reasons. One was I never tamed the beast the first time I owned one. Second, I really like hunting desert mule deer. It is nice having a flat shooting rifle when there can be 600-700 yard shots. I like to keep them under 500 if at all possible. I must admit I just like shooting boomers!! :geek:
I originally was looking at a 6.5x300 weatherby and / or another 338 lapua to push light for caliber bullets. Someone out in the innerweb suggested I look at the 30-378 as another option. I had never really considered that chambering, nor did I know that much about it. Thus the questions on a couple sites I belong to. At this point, I would say I am leaning away from that chambering for a couple reasons.
1. Brass availability and cost.
2. Multiple first hand reports of weatherby brass not lasting long
3. Sounds like an overall anemic chambering for how much powder you have to use.....maybe inefficient is a better word.
4. I already have all the lapua reloading item....just need another rifle and different bullets.

I am still very much considering the 6.5 x 300 weatherby as I can buy peterson brass and I am sure I can push a 124 grain HH close to or faster than 3500 fps with the right set up.

I hunt the west so I can shoot long range if I want. Most of our shots are sub 500 yards, though we were about to drop the hammer on a Monster Bull Moose last year at 800 when a helicopter buzzed the lake we were on and pushed the moose off. Boy oh Boy was the guide pissed all the way off. This rifle would be another to the collection that I would hunt deer, elk, bear, moose with. Maybe take it out on a ground squirl hunt too.

Most of our shots are sub 500 yards, though we were about to drop the hammer on a Monster Bull Moose last year at 800 when a helicopter buzzed the lake we were on and pushed the moose off. Boy oh Boy was the guide pissed all the way off. This rifle would be another to the collection that I would hunt deer, elk, bear, moose with. Maybe take it out on a ground squirrel hunt too.
You didn't have a helicopter tag? Reminds me of an elk hunt. I spotted a nice bull grazing alone at about 1500 yards. It was an almost perfect setup. The wind was right, there was a 14-20 foot ridge I could follow out of his sight to get close. I carefully worked my way for about 1200 yards and then belly crawled to the top of little ridge and he ranged at 260 yards. I was setting up for the shot and a 4 wheeler came out of nowhere screaming on a single track. He was gone in a flash. Oh did I want to shoot a 4 wheeler!

Pics or it didn't happen... 🤪 :ROFLMAO:
Here are a couple pics. For reference, I am 6'0" 265lbs in this photo. Also a pic of the Lapua set up for when we were buzzed by the helicopter. The skull measured 20.5 inches.....he missed the all time book by .5"....story of our families life.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 00-3CX5xWX_hRAmWiLJ2NtAukQrCTYzPr-h6g9-uF-jZO5qNRXEOZrJzjhSzV2Adx36rnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A.jpg
    00-3CX5xWX_hRAmWiLJ2NtAukQrCTYzPr-h6g9-uF-jZO5qNRXEOZrJzjhSzV2Adx36rnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 00-3CX5xWX_hRAmWiLJ2NtAukQrCTYzPr-h6g9-uF-jZO5qCUWQXDWGFZ3oE4xxzcY2rnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A.jpg
    00-3CX5xWX_hRAmWiLJ2NtAukQrCTYzPr-h6g9-uF-jZO5qCUWQXDWGFZ3oE4xxzcY2rnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 15
  • lapua.jpg
    lapua.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 00-3CX5xWX_hRAmWiLJ2NtAukQrCTYzPr-h6g9-uF-jZO7eTlvULGO2M_VRb_nqIkm7VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg.jpg
    00-3CX5xWX_hRAmWiLJ2NtAukQrCTYzPr-h6g9-uF-jZO7eTlvULGO2M_VRb_nqIkm7VZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 00-3CX5xWX_hRAmWiLJ2NtAukQrCTYzPr-h6g9-uF-jZO7K36uqqhnsfebMkQ72qSOlaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA.jpg
    00-3CX5xWX_hRAmWiLJ2NtAukQrCTYzPr-h6g9-uF-jZO7K36uqqhnsfebMkQ72qSOlaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 15
Starter load using Nosler load data. Their lawyers are using light loads.

I have had great luck with US 869 118 grains and 196 HH. 3330 FPS
mark V weather mark 26 inch barrel
1/4 moa at 100 and has killed elk deer and antelope👍🏻
Jon - Congratulations! I'm a fan! One has to like the big boomers!

Reactions: Jon
Back