What bullet for 7mm Rem Mag

220yotekiller

Hey guys, new to the forum, l have been on the fence about getting into Hammers for a while. I have a 7mm Rem Mag that I am thinking of loading them for. It is very accurate with traditional bullets, my prefered being the 160 gr Accubond but those things are hens teeth anymore.
I want this rifle to be my long range rifle, out to 600 yds or so. It has a standard twist barrel on it, 1 in 9.25 twist. I am a experenced handloader so that isn't a issue for me. Looking to hunt up to elk sized animals with it.
Thanks all!

First, welcome from NE Alabama! Glad to have you!
To your question, the 131 would be hard to beat, assuming your twist is correct. If twist is actually closer to 1:10, go to the Heavy Hammer.
Both load and shoot well. If you have components, try some sample packs and get some speeds. Do a table and compare drops/velocities on several bullet weights to your distance to make a sound choice.
Plenty of data for reference under Reloading, Hammer Hunter Load Data.
Keep us posted 😄

Welcome from Wolverine state!

The Hammer twist rate requirement is accurate so any bullet can be shot with your verified twist rate if stated for your twist. Unfortunately, its like going into ice cream store and trying to pick the "right" flavor that all taste great!! Check out the load data and pick your flavor!

Hammers hit above their weight so trying the lighter bullets with speed will be fine for your range. Or go heavy fast!

I want this rifle to be my long range rifle, out to 600 yds or so. It has a standard twist barrel on it, 1 in 9.25 twist. I am a experenced handloader so that isn't a issue for me. Looking to hunt up to elk sized animals with it.
Im getting 3186fps with the 140g Absolute Hammer from my 280AI (estimated in ballistic calculator). If you can get at least 3100fps that should give about 2000fps out at 600yds.

I am also trying the hammers out of my 7 mag. I have the 131 and 143 HH’s . I’m getting 3370 fps with 66 gr of h4350. Just under 3/4” groups at 125 yards. One load shot with the 131hh with 67.5 gr h4350 produced 3508fps but a sh*#ty 3.5” group. I’m shooting a browning xbolt with a 1-8 twist. I have an elk tag this fall that I burned 20 years worth of points on so I’m trying to find the cats a$$ for a bullet and load.

Hey guys, new to the forum, l have been on the fence about getting into Hammers for a while. I have a 7mm Rem Mag that I am thinking of loading them for. It is very accurate with traditional bullets, my prefered being the 160 gr Accubond but those things are hens teeth anymore.
Thanks all!
Welcome! I'm new to posting also. Last fall, with Steve of Hammer Bullets guidance, I loaded 143gr HH in my Rem 700 BDL 24" barrel 1-9.25 Twist (I measured many times thinking it couldn't be 9.25, then read Rem specs) and worked up to 69.0 grains IMR7828SSC 3120fps with no pressure and less than 1/2" MOA at 200yds. After that effort, I used the Berger Stability Calculator and learned I was marginal with the 143HH. I talked with Steve the Hammerman and he guided me to the 146 gr HH (this bullet has no significant boat tail which permits seating deep enough to fit my BDL magazine box). The wind died down suffice last Thursday that I was able to make 9 shots of my final load over my Wiser Precision mounted Magnetospeed and confirmed I had a good hunting load of 3119fps with less than 3/4"MOA at 200yds. I just did my first data post a few minutes ago, so you can see that work. This load is for my backup 7RM for an Oregon Elk trip this season. My goto for Oregon will be 7RSAUM 1-8-1/2' Twist 22" barrel and it will be running the 143HH. I'll report that Load when completed.
Good Hunting,

I developed a killer load for my buddys 7mag with stellar results. His rifle is a Rem700 with 1x9.5 twist. Shooting 160gr shock hammers at ~3160fps with N560. Half inch groups at 100. Load data is in the hammer hunter data table if interested. Good luck on your load development whatever combo you choose!

I just got my 160’s and went to load some for my 7mm rem mag and hammers load data says COAL should be 3.065? This seems way too short! What’s your thoughts?

I just got my 160’s and went to load some for my 7mm rem mag and hammers load data says COAL should be 3.065? This seems way too short! What’s your thoughts?
3.217” is what i settled on and groups well.

I’ll verify before shooting but should be good. With 150 Barnes ttsx I run 3.230, and hornady 160cx I run 3.390

I’ll verify before shooting but should be good. With 150 Barnes ttsx I run 3.230, and hornady 160cx I run 3.390
I started at book with the 160s at 3.294”. They were jamming the lands bad and it just looked funny how much bullet was sticking out. I backed off to to 3.27” and found some accuracy but man it was an ugly round. Ultimately found the most accurate and best load at the 3.217 mark.

Back