With 55 GR HH In the 6mm ARC Would IMR 4198 be a good consideration

6mmArc

I have tried the 55 grain Hammer Hunter in the 6mm ARC over A2200 with good results. I am looking to give a more temp stable powder a try in addition to the A2200. I expect IMR 4198 may work well though I'm not finding any data that quite supports IMR 4198 in this application. I do see data for VVN130 & H322 perhaps they would be a better choice for the application at hand.

Am I off base to think IMR 4198 may be a good fit as a propellant in the 6mm ARC for the 55 grain Hammer Hunter?

Welcome to the forum. It's a little out of my wheelhouse but I know a lot of guys use H322. Perhaps IMR 4198 would be a little fast? I would certainly give N130, H322 and even IMR 3031 a try.

JM2C

Regards

6mmArc

What powders do you have on hand. If you give me a moment I'll run out to the shed when I'm finished and give you some numbers that might help you.

If you use safe reloading practices and not proceed into dangerous pressure territory there's no reason you couldn't use this powder. Worst could happen is you not get the velocities that you're seeking. The best that could happen is you far exceed your expectations. I'm not too sure of the temperature stability of this powder compared to H 4198. I use a lot of IMR 4198 in my hammer loads. I would prefer to use H4198, taking advantage of its temperature stability. It's just not readily available locally. I can get IMR 4198 from multiple spots over the counter.

And excuse my ignorance, what is a 6mmArc and what is its case capacity. so I can get some comparisons.

Joe

Joe 16: I am sitting fairly deep on options. & especialy deep in the two highlighted examples below.

IMR 4198
IMR 3031
Benchmark
H322
Accurate LT30
VV N120
VV N130
Reloader #7

Thank you

Nosler list IMR 4198 as a good option in the 6ppc for the 55's. BTW my application is in a bolt action.

Do you mind sharing the details of your firearm, please. there's two load levels to be aware of and since I'm new to this cartridge and others might be there's. One listed for ARS and one higher pressure listed for bolt actions. Big difference . If this is an AR it might be harder finding a sweet spot to start to get it to function. In a bolt action it doesn't matter. What type of velocities are you hoping to achieve? just curious.

The nice part about IMR 4198 is it is not sensitive to position or light loads. I would start with 23.5 grains and shoot one. I would not proceed in one grain increments. I would actually proceed in 1% case capacity Increments (.3 grains). Since this is new territory. And I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't get all the way to, oh I'm not going to tell you... Start low and be safe and I bet you are going to be extremely surprised with your velocities. Rx7 could be loaded the same way🤷 It's a pretty neat looking little cartridge👍

Please be careful

Joe

Firearm is a re-barreld CZ527 w a 22" 7.5 twist barrel that was originally a 7.62 x39 . A 24" Heavy barrel is in process for the 527 as well. In a couple weeks I expect to have a Howa Mini action with a factory 22" barrel going to boot.

Yes I find this to be a very neat cartridge with lots of utility. The CZ527 in 6mm ARC has been my White tail cartridge for the past two seasons. So far I have taken deer with a 108 grain Berger Elite hunter at 254 yards. Brachial plexus shot put him down & out in instantaneous fashion. Best buck I have taken. Really hansom 4x4 that went a bit over 140ish. Likely weighed right at 300 lbs on the hoof.

Then Last fall I gave the Absolute Hammers a try on two larger doe's. No disappointment on the two does either. Put a proper bullet in the right spot & this rifle, is more than enough for the task that I have in mind. Recoil is as mild as I could hope for, to boot.

Then I give this 55 grain HH a try & accuracy is as good or better than anything I have tried yet. Talk about low recoil:)

Last edited:
Back