156gr Hammer Hunters and MAGPRO or Hybrid 100V for .270 Winchester

JumpinLegs

Hi all. I've got a 1:7.5" twist .270 Win that I'm working up a load for. Just bought some 156 grain HHs, and I have MAGPRO and Hybrid 100V powders. Never used either yet, but they were listed for two other bullets that I'm also trying to load up. Anybody have any starting loads they can offer for the 156 HHs and MAGPRO or Hybrid 100V? I've looked around and haven't found any .270 Win loads at all for the 156 grain HHs, but maybe I just overlooked them. Based off a load on Hodgdon for 150 gr. Barnes TSX, I'm looking at about 53.6 gr. of MAGPRO to start, and for a 160 gr. Accubond it's showing 48 gr. of Hybrid 100V to start. Do those seem about right?

There are 2 156 loads in the Hammer HH load data, RL26 and IMR7828.

I just ran a bunch of 156 ladders but not sure if H100V was included. Will look. I think I did Magpro. What rifle config?

There are 2 156 loads in the Hammer HH load data, RL26 and IMR7828.

I just ran a bunch of 156 ladders but not sure if H100V was included. Will look. I think I did Magpro. What rifle config?
24", #3 contour, 1:7.5" twist. Using Federal GM210M primers, Winchester Brass. What other info do you need?

Ha! We crossed in space. My load data is with 700LA with long freebore so COAL is very long.

The 156HH will shine if you can protect case capacity to allow better powder options.

Remington 700LA,
Preferred Barrel SS 27", Light Palma contour
1:8tw, 5R, 0.290 freebore added
Magazine max COAL is 3.67

Ha! We crossed in space. My load data is with 700LA with long freebore so COAL is very long.

The 156HH will shine if you can protect case capacity to allow better powder options.

Remington 700LA,
Preferred Barrel SS 27", Light Palma contour
1:8tw, 5R, 0.290 freebore added
Magazine max COAL is 3.67

Thanks for the load info! Those velocities look good for me until I can get a better powder. Was your charge compressed?

Thanks for the load info! Those velocities look good for me until I can get a better powder. Was your charge compressed?
Not with the COAL for my rifle. If you do not have a 3.67" magazine with freebore, it will be compressed and the load data needs to be adjusted down for your rifle specifications. I shoot at 3.63" which is really long COAL. Pressure development will be faster as well.

I think muddy means that it could well be worth trying a large rifle magnum primer to go with the magnum powder although your case capacity is not quite in the magnum ball park, ignition characteristics will change, maybe for the better, it’s worth a quick test.
Don’t swap in a mag primer at max charge though, like I said it will change ignition…

I think muddy means that it could well be worth trying a large rifle magnum primer to go with the magnum powder although your case capacity is not quite in the magnum ball park, ignition characteristics will change, maybe for the better, it’s worth a quick test.
Don’t swap in a mag primer at max charge though, like I said it will change ignition…
Ah, gotcha, that makes sense.

Back