19” 7SAUM with suppressor velocities?

Planning to move to full time use of a suppressor for hunting.
I have a Kimber Montana 8400 with Pac-Nor 8 twist poly (their version of 5r) in 7 SAUM.
Plan is to have it chopped to around 19” and then threaded for suppressor. This will get me a 24-25” finished length. I’m familiar with that length for a hunting rifle.

That short of a barrel length in a magnum is a bit alien to me. I know I’ll be giving up velocity.
I’m thinking Re23 and 143HH’s as a first move.

Curious if others have experience with this barrel length in a 7 SAUM.

Look at the 6 UM for what you are wanting to do. Unknown Munitions.
You might be able to take the same case and make it a 7mm if you are stuck on that but the 6mm will accomplish everything you want with less recoil.

Kris

I appreciate the suggestion, I’m just not a big 6mm fan. I’m a 7mm guy and have a few flavors. I also have the bullets, brass, powders, dies, ect.. for 7mm SAUM.
I understand that. What I was getting at was to look at that case design and make it 7mm. So basically a 7 Saum improved.

Kris

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked it up to see what the specs would be.
I’m not real sure what the difference is over the plain 7mm SAUM.

I think if I was to try a different round it would be the 7mm PRC. But that round is just a very slightly higher capacity SAUM.
I hand load almost everything and order my barrels twisted and chambered how I like (8 or 8.5t, 5r, and throated for desired bullets seated less than mag length) already, so the PRC doesn’t bring much new to the table.

I've got no experience with a can but I did cut a 300 run down to 22 in. Traditional powders produced large muzzle flashes. You might find something like Varget and the 120hh being friendlier.

I hope this helps

Joe

Edit to add.. IMR 4895 is what I ended up running in my short barreled 300 rum.

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked it up to see what the specs would be.
I’m not real sure what the difference is over the plain 7mm SAUM.

I think if I was to try a different round it would be the 7mm PRC. But that round is just a very slightly higher capacity SAUM.
I hand load almost everything and order my barrels twisted and chambered how I like (8 or 8.5t, 5r, and throated for desired bullets seated less than mag length) already, so the PRC doesn’t bring much new to the table.
There has been some talk with some of the guys that biult the first 6 UM to use the 7 PRC case and make a 6mm from it due to it's similarity. I'm really curious how it does especially if it's an improved version.

Kris

I've got no experience with a can but I did cut a 300 run down to 22 in. Traditional powders produced large muzzle flashes. You might find something like Varget and the 120hh being friendlier.

I hope this helps

Joe

Edit to add.. IMR 4895 is what I ended up running in my short barreled 300 rum.

22” RUM sounds like a fire breathing dragon. I’m thinking that could be hard on suppressor baffles.
Thanks for the comments on the faster powders. I was thinking that I’d need to learn a bit and address that situation of balancing barrel length and burn rate.
I have RE23, Varget, and H4350 by the jug so hopefully I can find happiness there. I have some 4895 but moved away from it cause for a while there it seemed like they stoped making the stuff.

Planning to move away from chopping and instead have a new tube built custom.
The current barrel would need threaded 9/16x24 and then fitted with adapter to step up to 5/8x24.
I ordered an adapter from Precision Armament to get a visual on what that would look like.
The adapter looks really nice, but it’s paper thin. Just not much meat between 9/16 and 5/8.
I question the long term durability and strength of such a setup. Would rather not stack threads upon threads.

I have a 7mm Sherman short with a 21 inch barrel that I run the 131 hammer hunters at 3265 and didn’t hit pressure with hybrid 100v. They have performed flawlessly on multiple deer, a bear, and a moose. I might be able to push them faster but I love the accuracy. The Sherman short is based off of the saum case.

Sounds like fun!

Out of Varget, 4350 and RL23, I'd start with H4350 myself.

I think RL23 is a little slow for the 143 - might be magic with a 170HHT though 😉

Back