meatbuck
Platinum Member

meatbuck Avatar

Member is Online
Apr 18, 2022 at 10:19am via mobile
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by meatbuck on Apr 18, 2022 at 10:19am​

Post your 2022 fishing pics and stories here.
meatbuck
Platinum Member

meatbuck Avatar

Member is Online
Apr 18, 2022 at 10:31am via mobile harperc, gltaylor, and 4 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by meatbuck on Apr 18, 2022 at 10:31am​

Boy and I been after the stripers for the last week n a half. Gone out 6 times, (twice with him) and boxed a dozen fish. Limits two 18” fish per day. Haven’t been into any big ones yet, a couple 25-26” have been biggest so far. Son broke in his new rod with a squaw fish, a 25.5” striper and about a 2lb catfish. All on lures.
Had a blast n cast day Thursday before last. Popped myself a long beard early afternoon. Cleaned the bird and swung out to the river for an evening limit of stripers.
Have to start taking more pics of the fish. They aren’t much to look at so I rarely snap pics.
Last Edit: Apr 18, 2022 at 10:34am by meatbuck
farleg
Platinum Member

farleg Avatar

Male
Apr 20, 2022 at 4:54am harperc, riceman, and 3 more like this
Quotelike
Post Options

Post by farleg on Apr 20, 2022 at 4:54am​

Gday
not the biggest but very worthy of a successful time & these brown trout ate well
cheers

Attachments:

skeeterfan

skeeterfan Avatar

Benefactor NRA Life Member
Apr 21, 2022 at 6:28pm via mobile meatbuck likes this
Quotelike
Post Options

Post by skeeterfan on Apr 21, 2022 at 6:28pm​

Fishing for walleye on Lake Erie has been incredible so far this spring

Gonna be another banner summer
joe16
Platinum Member

joe16 Avatar

Apr 28, 2022 at 5:11am riceman, farleg, and 3 more like this
Quotelike
Post Options

Post by joe16 on Apr 28, 2022 at 5:11am​

Fishing in Central Florida has been pretty good, In my particular lake the females are starting to come off beds, they are pretty aggressive right now. My quest for a 10-pounder continues.

This was Saturday morning with the wife

To tell you the truth I was actually disappointed when they were put on the scale and only barely touched 7 lb☹☹

This next fish is a different story. I caught this one on a Tuesday afternoon while throwing a brown frog. All three of these fish were caught within approximately a hundred yards of each other but this particular Tuesday fish I was easing down the bank skipn a Frog up under sticks and trees and what have you. My buddy had told me the previous day that he had missed a nice fish on this old dock so while I was approaching it,I skipped up under a tree and while retrieving my frog back there was a huge boil I set the hook and drew back nothing. When I mean nothing I mean that my leader had separated from my Power Pro braid, complacency means that you do not Ret tie☹🤪 Well things happen,it's called fishing, So I trolled in a circle and tied on a new frog band leader. After tying on I realize that I could go back through there again so why not the next cast was under the tree. And to my surprise there was a huge wake and explosion. Most of the time here in Central Florida when you get a double hit it's a mudfish or a bowfin or a granel depending on where you live. So be it,I set the hook and was pleasantly surprised by this six and a quarter pound female that had laid out. Sorry for the terrible picture. I was in a hurry to get my frog back in the water, but if you notice the sores on the sides. You can see where they are beat in the side by the males to induce laying their eggs they are starved and all beat up now and easy to catch👍 Unfortunately they weigh about 2 pounds less than they would be if they were still full of eggs☹ which makes this quest for a 10-pounder really really hard right now but action is fast and heavy. Makes it hard to shoot my rifles right now🤔🤔🤔

This place is awesome

Joe
gltaylor
Global Moderator

Global Moderator

gltaylor Avatar

Apr 28, 2022 at 5:40am via mobile
Quotelike
Post Options

Post by gltaylor on Apr 28, 2022 at 5:40am​

Wonderful Joe! Your lake is gorgeous!
Must be tough😛
meatbuck
Platinum Member

meatbuck Avatar

Member is Online
May 1, 2022 at 4:13pm via mobile farleg and joe16 like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by meatbuck on May 1, 2022 at 4:13pm​

Boxed a few more striper since my last post. Fishing slowed a bit with the warm weather and water. Lots of short fish in the system right now. Bait lickers I call em. 26.5 is biggest so far.
Spun myself up a 9ft baitcaster for the bank fishing I’ve been doing. Was an old diawa spinning rod that I stripped down and flipped the spine on. Skunked on the first trip with it but boxed my limit on the two trips since.
Last Edit: May 1, 2022 at 4:15pm by meatbuck
joe16
Platinum Member

joe16 Avatar

May 3, 2022 at 6:48am via mobile farleg likes this
Quotelike
Post Options

Post by joe16 on May 3, 2022 at 6:48am​

Meatbuck

Where are you catching those stripers at?
When I was stationed at Fort Hood they had stocked hybrids in the two reservoirs that bordered Fort Hood. I remember using cut bait down below the spillways when they were their, action was hot and heavy, nothing as big as the ones you're catching though those are some nice fish

Joe
meatbuck
Platinum Member

meatbuck Avatar

Member is Online
May 3, 2022 at 1:06pm via mobile farleg and joe16 like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by meatbuck on May 3, 2022 at 1:06pm​

joe16 Avatar

May 3, 2022 at 6:48am joe16 said:
Meatbuck

Where are you catching those stripers at?
When I was stationed at Fort Hood they had stocked hybrids in the two reservoirs that bordered Fort Hood. I remember using cut bait down below the spillways when they were their, action was hot and heavy, nothing as big as the ones you're catching though those are some nice fish

Joe

Sacramento River. They run up here from sf bay to spawn and eat salmon fry.
Some fish stay in the system but few target them outside of the spawn.
farleg
Platinum Member

farleg Avatar

Male
May 3, 2022 at 3:36pm harperc, riceman, and 6 more like this
Quotelike
Post Options

Post by farleg on May 3, 2022 at 3:36pm​

Gday here’s the jaws of the mako ( as requested) my mate got on recent trip down here
just over 10 ft & would be around 300 lb by previous shark weights on this size
are very well & plenty for a while to come for all the families involved in this recent trip
cheers

ps edit ate well not are well
spell check got me or just muppet me again
your choice

Attachments:

Last Edit: May 3, 2022 at 4:54pm by farleg: Ps added
tthetinkerer

tthetinkerer Avatar

May 4, 2022 at 9:25pm riceman, gltaylor, and 3 more like this
Quotelike
Post Options

Post by tthetinkerer on May 4, 2022 at 9:25pm​

Every since that torso sized snapper years ago, I've been hooked on deep sea. Nothing large here, but tons of grunts. Tasty little critters, too. A very subtle snapper like taste with a not-so-subtle sweetness. A favorite of mine filleted and fried!

Attachments:

meatbuck
Platinum Member

meatbuck Avatar

Member is Online
May 6, 2022 at 10:05am joe16 likes this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by meatbuck on May 6, 2022 at 10:05am​

Swing and a miss on stripers yesterday but this guy kept me from a total skunk.

meatbuck
Platinum Member

meatbuck Avatar

Member is Online
May 9, 2022 at 6:49pm gltaylor, farleg, and 1 more like this
QuoteEditlike
Post Options

Post by meatbuck on May 9, 2022 at 6:49pm​

Wrapped up the season with a solid fish. Went out with my son this morning. We each caught and released a striper. Slow day but I had two solid hookups. Landed the second one. First fish powered my lure down and kept motoring upstream. When a single hook is in the top lip and the fish runs straight away, the hook gets pulled out. That’s what had to have happened. Was just a bunch of weight, stripped line for about 10 seconds as it went straight away upstream and popped off. No head shakes. Second fish hit and pulled line downstream. Put up about a 8-10 min fight. Took just as long to revive him after the fight. He had seen some type of near death experience once before as the pics show so I decided to let him go. The bigger fish have higher mercury levels from being in the system longer so I generally don’t keep em anyhow. Was a good way to end the season. Not that it’s over, I’m just hanging it up after a dozen trips. Got plenty of meat and got my 30”+ fish. Plus got to spend time with my son, away from the daily distractions.

Back