22-250 Howa build

Mountainman

Hammer Time Executive member
Recently completed a 22-250 for a customer. He had a lightly used Howa he wanted to build off and I ended up being rather impressed with the Howa action (metric threads aside). Installed a 26" Bartlein with a 1:12 twist, 1 lb. Jard trigger, leupold back country one piece rings and a 3-18 Z6 Swarovski with BRH reticle. Glacier Titanium cerakote on barreled action and rings. First 3 shots I fired went in 1/2". 2 of the 6 loads I loaded shot 1/4" at 3800 fps plus. One with 52 grain Hammers and the other with 50 grain Barnes. Both with Winchester 760 powder. Came home, cleaned the rifle, loaded up a box of 50 and called it done.

22-250.jpg

I’m glad to hear that! I’ve been considering buying a Howa barreled action and swapping barrels for my upcoming 6.5x47L build. The Howas I’ve cycled seemed pretty smooth to me, so I’m having a hard time convincing myself that a $1000 aftermarket action will be twice as good as a sub $500 Howa…

I’m contemplating a Howa for my next build too, I have had several before and I really like them, extremely well made and yet ridiculously well priced! Plus my gunsmith is a big Howa fan 👍
I stupidly sold my Howa 6x47 Lapua to my best mate so now I watch it shoot bug holes for him every time he pulls it out.. really nice rifle, it shot 1/2 moa on a really bad day and that was just the factory 243 barrel set back and re chambered

I’m contemplating a Howa for my next build too, I have had several before and I really like them, extremely well made and yet ridiculously well priced! Plus my gunsmith is a big Howa fan 👍
I stupidly sold my Howa 6x47 Lapua to my best mate so now I watch it shoot bug holes for him every time he pulls it out.. really nice rifle, it shot 1/2 moa on a really bad day and that was just the factory 243 barrel set back and re chambered
Who/where is your gunsmith? I’ll be in the market for one since this will be my first “custom” rifle.

I’ve (or I should Say, the Mrs) have one in 22-250 to go with my custom Mausers. It is every bit as good as them for a “budget” rifle. I kinda wish that the twist was faster. Still need to do load development. Just waiting for pay day

Back