223 Newbie

Gerald Dilgard

Hammer Time Executive member
I have a Savage Axis in 223. 1:9 twist 22 inch. I have replaced that awful trigger spring that was nearly 7 lbs with an MCarbo 2.5 lbs spring. Much better shooter now. I have worked up some good loads with Hornady V-max in both 40 and 50 grain I would like to try some Hammers. Mostly I hunt Woodchucks. Seldom see a coyote, but would pop any that I see. What bullet from the hammer line should I start with? My rifle really likes the 40 V-Max over 26.5 of H335. Woodchucks don't seem to like it much at all.

I have a Savage Axis in 223. 1:9 twist 22 inch. I have replaced that awful trigger spring that was nearly 7 lbs with an MCarbo 2.5 lbs spring. Much better shooter now. I have worked up some good loads with Hornady V-max in both 40 and 50 grain I would like to try some Hammers. Mostly I hunt Woodchucks. Seldom see a coyote, but would pop any that I see. What bullet from the hammer line should I start with? My rifle really likes the 40 V-Max over 26.5 of H335. Woodchucks don't seem to like it much at all.
Gerald, distance?
I've used 35hh-64hh in 223.
I'd have to say that my favorite is the 52hh. Big enough, not too big for the 223.
Coyotes don't like them either.

Back