.270 PRC?

Muddyboots

Staff member
So is this a possibility? Have the 27 Nosler, 6.8 Western and .277 Sig Fury have opened the door for this possibility? I think I would be very interested in seeing this since it will up the game for sure. The .270Win fast twist will surprise most with a really good magazine COAL and freebore but a 270 PRC will be throated right from get go to shoot longer heavier bullets. I can see a heavier ELDX coming out as precursor for existing .270 calibers.

And the best thing? Its not skinny ugly....😂😱

Nahh muddy that won’t sell, it’s gotta be a 6.8prc.
The new industry standard is to run out the mullet clad 270wsm crowd and replace with the man bun wearing hipsters that use mil designations. 🤷🏼‍♂️🤪😜

So is this a possibility? Have the 27 Nosler, 6.8 Western and .277 Sig Fury have opened the door for this possibility? I think I would be very interested in seeing this since it will up the game for sure. The .270Win fast twist will surprise most with a really good magazine COAL and freebore but a 270 PRC will be throated right from get go to shoot longer heavier bullets. I can see a heavier ELDX coming out as precursor for existing .270 calibers.

And the best thing? Its not skinny ugly....😂😱
I googled 270-7PRC and this website came up. I got on board immediately when the 7PRC was introduced. In fact I never moved fwd with any PRC, holding out for the 7, which I knew would come out sooner or later. My goal was to examine the case size and capacity because I knew I wanted to convert it to 0.277. Upon its intro, the 7PRC case, in my opinion, was just what I was looking for. I did respond to a year old thread first but thought I'd share with a new thread. Don't know if anyone else has this same process underway or not.

I necked down a 7PRC brass, created a dummy with the Berger 170 EOL to be 10th off lands. Sent it to JGS and got a reamer. Also opened up the chamber 0.002 as did Alex Wheeler with the other PRC design for 7 and 6.5. My first barrel is a K&P cut rifled 4 groove 8 twist #4 contour at 24" joined with the Terminus Zeus long action QC. As of last range session I'm clocking at 3144 fps with no pressure. I have quite a few more barrels on hand to chamber from Brux and Benchmark and K&P. I'm going to test 8.5, 8.75, and 9 twist because the 170 should stabilize easily in the 9. Thus, I will possibly get best accuracy and velocity.

According to Berger's website calculator my 270-7PRC 170 Berger EOL at 3144fps beats a 7PRC 180 BVLD at 3000 fps in drop, energy, drift. And, If I guessed about right, it also beats the 195 gr EOL in 7PRC but I was estimating a velocity for that calculation but was fairly generous. Berger tells me at the present, there's no intention to make anything heavier than their 170 in 0.277. I've heard a few custom rifle builders claim that the word is Hornady is going to introduce a 270PRC but not sure when. If so, they'll have to create a heavier bullet than the 145 ELD-X and if they do I'd be eager to test it.

I googled 270-7PRC and this website came up. I got on board immediately when the 7PRC was introduced. In fact I never moved fwd with any PRC, holding out for the 7, which I knew would come out sooner or later. My goal was to examine the case size and capacity because I knew I wanted to convert it to 0.277. Upon its intro, the 7PRC case, in my opinion, was just what I was looking for. I did respond to a year old thread first but thought I'd share with a new thread. Don't know if anyone else has this same process underway or not.

I necked down a 7PRC brass, created a dummy with the Berger 170 EOL to be 10th off lands. Sent it to JGS and got a reamer. Also opened up the chamber 0.002 as did Alex Wheeler with the other PRC design for 7 and 6.5. My first barrel is a K&P cut rifled 4 groove 8 twist #4 contour at 24" joined with the Terminus Zeus long action QC. As of last range session I'm clocking at 3144 fps with no pressure. I have quite a few more barrels on hand to chamber from Brux and Benchmark and K&P. I'm going to test 8.5, 8.75, and 9 twist because the 170 should stabilize easily in the 9. Thus, I will possibly get best accuracy and velocity.

According to Berger's website calculator my 270-7PRC 170 Berger EOL at 3144fps beats a 7PRC 180 BVLD at 3000 fps in drop, energy, drift. And, If I guessed about right, it also beats the 195 gr EOL in 7PRC but I was estimating a velocity for that calculation but was fairly generous. Berger tells me at the present, there's no intention to make anything heavier than their 170 in 0.277. I've heard a few custom rifle builders claim that the word is Hornady is going to introduce a 270PRC but not sure when. If so, they'll have to create a heavier bullet than the 145 ELD-X and if they do I'd be eager to test it.
You should be able to push the 160gr HHT at another 100-150fps. 3250-3300 fps would be pretty cool.

I am discussing same right now with one of illustrious members! My plan is 1:7 since the 156HH would do slightly better SG at 1:7 over 1:8. My fast twist 1:8 .270 Win will shoot the 270EOL at 3100 with RL26 pixie dust. Betting more in PRC case with RL26! Jealous you took the step! We are also discussing a 2 step reamer design to lower throat land entry pressure.

Same rifle shoots the 156HH at 3220, topped out 3285. Yes RL26 pixie dust.

The .277 caliber will no doubt be getting heavier bullets due to 27N, 6.8W which will help the .270Wby as well.

I have heard from a so called insider that Hornady is considering it. Make life a bit easier with brass but necking down 0.007 NBD.

I am discussing same right now with one of illustrious members! My plan is 1:7 since the 156HH would do slightly better SG at 1:7 over 1:8. My fast twist 1:8 .270 Win will shoot the 270EOL at 3100 with RL26 pixie dust. Betting more in PRC case with RL26! Jealous you took the step! We are also discussing a 2 step reamer design to lower throat land entry pressure.

Same rifle shoots the 156HH at 3220, topped out 3285. Yes RL26 pixie dust.

The .277 caliber will no doubt be getting heavier bullets due to 27N, 6.8W which will help the .270Wby as well.

I have heard from a so called insider that Hornady is considering it. Make life a bit easier with brass but necking down 0.007 NBD.
I can't find Re26 after 4 years of searching but am quite pleased with my current powders. I'd like to try out my new 270-7PRC on a cow elk hunt with my son. I do have Re25 on hand I could try

Welcome from another 270 fan. Thinking ahead if I ever shoot out the barrel in my 300 rum, I'll get a replacement and a second chambered in 27n with enough twist for the 160HHT. Or maybe just let my favorite 117hh scream.

Welcome from another 270 fan. Thinking ahead if I ever shoot out the barrel in my 300 rum, I'll get a replacement and a second chambered in 27n with enough twist for the 160HHT. Or maybe just let my favorite 117hh scream.
Thank you. 270 Win was my first, second, and third hunting rifle. Just can't get away from it. I sold my 300RUM awhile back. Now I have my first 300WSMs and very pleased. These have been chambered with my JGS modified reamer as well so they take a long action. I also bumped the chamber 0.002 on the body just like with my 270-7PRC reamer following Alex Wheeler's design which greatly improved the SAAMI spec 6.5 and 7PRC standard dimensions

Back