270 win. 117hh bergara hunter rifle

still huntin

loaded up some 117hh for the 270 win. to try and find the pressure and had a leaked primer at 58 gr. of h4350, 1/4 LCD starline virgin brass, fed 210 LRP seated with no grooves showing, or maybe just a smidge of the front groove. went back home and loaded 5 more rounds with 57 gr. h4350 and got on paper with 2 rounds, and shot a 3 round group with the last 3 shots. those last 3 shots went into less than a 1/2" at 100 yds. I'm very happy with these bullets to say the least.

I plan on loading a couple more and setting up the magneto speed chrono today and see what I have. seems like my chamber may be min. spec as I havent been able to get this gun loaded with the charges some people have been getting from their guns but if it shoots like this it will do.

I started with the 110hh for this bergara 270 win and it did ok but there wasnt much in the load data for it so I got some 117hh bullets because there was alot more data to see and deer season is closing in on us. it got so hot outside today that I didnt get out there and tomorrow is gonna be the same. I enjoy reading up on alot of the info here and when I get ready to set a new gun up there are already a couple bullets and powders in mind. that 117hh bullet has been talked about alot so it made it alot easier, and you can't discount the luck factor, lol.

went out this evening with the magneto speed chrono and fired one round with 57 gr. of h4350 for 3,368 fps and one round of 56.5 gr. of h4350 for 3,327 fps had a slight ejector swipe with the 57 gr. and a great group with the 57 gr. the other day. I also had a little black line around the primer with 58 gr. h4350 about a week ago, so I am pretty sure my chamber is maybe minimum spec. as I can take these fired cases and drop them in my ammo checker gauge and they fit flush without any pushing, so I am getting the sweet spot velocity wise without larger charge . when we get some decent temps here I'm gonna try the 56.5 gr. h4350 load and see if it stacks up against that 57 gr load for accuracy. all my primers are kinda flat regardless of charge from 55-58 gr. and thats with cci200 and fed 210 lrp.

I did get a little bolt lift resistance with the 58 gr h4350 last week, but this action is real smooth and so it makes it easier to feel something like that, so I feel confident in knowing where the pressure is for this powder etc in this particular gun. will keep ya'll abreast of this moving forward. need to get back out and reconfirm the 57gr load for group and also test the 56.5 gr seeing as it didnt have the slight ejector swipe. for those just catching up with this the 57 gr. h4350 and 117hh load did a 3 shot group the other day that could be covered with probably a dime at 100 yds.

gltaylor, I did put the info into the share your loads thread just this evening. 270 win. starline brass, 117hh bullet, 57 gr. h4350 at 3368 fps chronoed today and also 56.5 gr h4350 at 3327 fps. fed 210 lrp, crimped in the very front groove. slight ejector swipe at 57 gr. 58 gr had a little leakage around primer. going to shoot a group with 56.5 gr when I get a good day. thanks to all of you for providing info and data and gltaylor what a great job you do, thanks.

gltaylor, I did put the info into the share your loads thread just this evening. 270 win. starline brass, 117hh bullet, 57 gr. h4350 at 3368 fps chronoed today and also 56.5 gr h4350 at 3327 fps. fed 210 lrp, crimped in the very front groove. slight ejector swipe at 57 gr. 58 gr had a little leakage around primer. going to shoot a group with 56.5 gr when I get a good day. thanks to all of you for providing info and data and gltaylor what a great job you do, thanks.
@still huntin , great updates, thank you much. I was just thinking about getting some starline brass for my 270, and found this thread searching "starline". I'm a tad bit envious of your velocity, I am getting ~3250 fps with 57 grains of H4350 running behind the 122HHT, 124HH, and 117HH in a 22 inch barrel. In my rifle, the 122HHT groups sub 1MOA, and the clock is running out on load development for me, as it's almost time to go hunting with the accurate load I have ready today :).

precision, pretty sure I have a tight chamber noted by how the fired brass will fit back into my lyman ammo checker and the fact that I had a black line around the primer on the 58 gr. h4350 ladder load, causing me to not go any further up the ladder. then there is the 24" barrel. I'm sure that 3250 fps will serve you well this season.

Nice work! You will be happy with the 117 on game, absolutely perfect performance out of my 270WSM on muleys.

Back