.270(Win) Thors Hammer Gets "Trumped"

Muddyboots

Staff member
So some of ya know about my fast twist .270 Win named above from some threads on the build in LRH. Its a 700LA trued up, 0.290 freebore added to 27" Light Palma, Preferred Barrel, 3.67" COAL for magazine really lets it hum. The barrel was throated specifically for 156HH even though I never shot the bullet. The results were/are crazy. The bullet maxed out at 3285 with final load at 3200 and incredible accuracy. Good enough? Nope, I still believe more performance is still in table.

So what's in the works? I have another 700LA at a GS being trued up. And the throat will go from just freebore to a Serengeti reamer! Reamer is designed with appropriate freebore. The Serengeti minimizes the bullet "step" into the lands which reduces pressure. The reamer is under design right now so the game is on!

Why? Because I think there is another 75-100fps or more sitting there to be taken and believe this approach will take the cartridge to another level. And absolute best of all? No man-bun required!!

This is one of those time driven projects but patience will bring it home the way it needs to be. I will keep updating as a milestone is reached.

So some of ya know about my fast twist .270 Win named above from some threads on the build in LRH. Its a 700LA trued up, 0.290 freebore added to 27" Light Palma, Preferred Barrel, 3.67" COAL for magazine really lets it hum. The barrel was throated specifically for 156HH even though I never shot the bullet. The results were/are crazy. The bullet maxed out at 3285 with final load at 3200 and incredible accuracy. Good enough? Nope, I still believe more performance is still in table.

So what's in the works? I have another 700LA at a GS being trued up. And the throat will go from just freebore to a Serengeti reamer! Reamer is designed with appropriate freebore. The Serengeti minimizes the bullet "step" into the lands which reduces pressure. The reamer is under design right now so the game is on!

Why? Because I think there is another 75-100fps or more sitting there to be taken and believe this approach will take the cartridge to another level. And absolute best of all? No man-bun required!!

This is one of those time driven projects but patience will bring it home the way it needs to be. I will keep updating as a milestone is reached.
Muddyboots - I'm not a big 270 fan. I had a 270 Weatherby Mag. However, I am a big fan of this project! I'm not sure who is making a gain twist barrel these days, but I picked up an extra 200 fps in my 308. I'm exited about the speed you are getting with the 156 HH! Who knows you might just change my mind. I'm kind of stuck on the 30 calibers. I do like watching a great build no matter what caliber.

Its been like a challenge to me to see just what the cartridge potential is with different approach.
🤔 Where did you get the gain twist?😂

Its been like a challenge to me to see just what the cartridge potential is with different approach.
🤔 Where did you get the gain twist?😂
I got my barrel from Montana Barrel company. They are out of business! One issue you would have is I am not sure how well they would handle the 156 HH. The design was for a lighter bullet. Bartlein makes one. It isn't as radical and mine. I am also curious about a barrel with 3 groove pattern like a Lilji vs the more common 5 groove pattern. They make a 1 in 7 3 groove in .277.

My 308 goes from a 1 in 16 to a 1 in 12 and was at the time (before Hammer) specifically designed for the 140 grain Barnes. It shoots the 137HH well. I still have a lot of load development to do, and I am leaving soon (a couple of hours) for a week of bow hunting for elk. So many projects so little time!

I got my barrel from Montana Barrel company. They are out of business! One issue you would have is I am not sure how well they would handle the 156 HH. The design was for a lighter bullet. Bartlein makes one. It isn't as radical and mine. I am also curious about a barrel with 3 groove pattern like a Lilji vs the more common 5 groove pattern. They make a 1 in 7 3 groove in .277.

My 308 goes from a 1 in 16 to a 1 in 12 and was at the time (before Hammer) specifically designed for the 140 grain Barnes. It shoots the 137HH well. I still have a lot of load development to do, and I am leaving soon (a couple of hours) for a week of bow hunting for elk. So many projects so little time!
When did they start offering a 1-7?

I believe Bartlein will do a gain twist, but they are pretty tame compared to what Ron Smith out of Alberta Canada offers. Ron has been doing gain twists for a long time. Very popular with the full bore guys up here for their cast bullets.

Back