28 nosler 169 hammer hunter starting load

pmerritt

Looking for a starting load using ADG brass if anyone has run this setup. Barrel is a 28 inch proof. I have never loaded Hammer bullets, or copper bullets for that fact. I currently have rl33 and h1000 to choose from. I would prefer to not use rl33 because of how dirty it is. If anyone has any data it would be appreciated.

Welcome from NE Alabama! Glad you joined us!
Muddy will be along shortly with some recommended reading before you get started. Hammers are/load very differently from cup & core lead bullets.
Have you looked at the load data sheets under Reloading? Member shared data for Hammer Hunters, Absolutes and HHTs. Over 400 pages so far. Enjoy! No dumb questions. We all started out somewhere.
Of note...you will likely find you use faster powders than you are accustomed to.

Welcome from Idaho. I'm not familiar with your cartridge. That said, I shoot a 300 RUM and the slowest powder I use is H4831.

I would think that H1000 would be the better of the 2 options and you should be able to start at 77gr and work up. Make sure you clean your barrel back to clean steel before you start. Also, be ready to switch all your other hunting guns over to Hammers. Once you see how easy load work is and how well these shoot, it's hard not to.

Of the two you mentioned, H1000 would be better - however, you're likely going to find that is way too slow.

I had very good luck with the 28 Nosler and 169 HH using Ramshot LRT (its quite slow but you can get lots of it in there :). RL33 does work very well as does N570 but they both work best with the heavier bullets. RL33 is hard to find and somewhat dirty as you mentioned. I never tried H1000 as I quit using it when it wasn't available and now I don't seem to have anything that uses it anymore. Having said that it should work as should RL26 and Retumbo.

Welcome to the forum

Back