338RUM 210HHT load development

kneedeep

Hammer Time Executive member
This combo is heading to Alaska for brown bear on may 7th. My main concern is reliability in feeding and potential bullet movement.

I don’t have a lot of time but will get this started. I’ve spent the morning figuring out the, new to me, Bertram brass. I made a dummy round to check the rifle for feeding issues. 4 thousandths NT was too much for this annealed brass. It pushed the brass beyond its yield point and resulted in a loose pill I could move with my fingers.

1 thousandths NT with a 3/8 LFC in the bottom of the top valley had good results. I ended up with 3 thousandths NT with a 3/8 LFC in the top valley.

IMG_5586.jpeg
9 total shots including the 3 shot group circled in red. 3 shots of 1thou NT, 84-86gr H4350, numbers 1-3. 3 shots of 3 thou NT, 83-85gr H4350, numbers 4-6.

Velocities close to 3200fps of both ladders were close impacts. I loaded 3 of 85gr for the group circled in red.
IMG_5585.jpeg
Numbers are excellent.

I did not work up to pressure as I was looking for a comfortable, reliable load as most likely the shot will be under 200 yards. I have enough experience with this pill to know it doesn’t need pushed to the limit for outstanding performance.

I loaded the mag with all three rounds when group testing. The last round had the tip flattened slightly from the excessively long magazine and heavier recoil of this magnum. It didn’t affect the group size as it’s one of the two touching in the group.
IMG_5584.jpeg

I have more testing to do today so that’s all for now

Kneedeep

Been anxiously awaiting some load development with this pill. Thanks for posting, those look like good results.

How much more room do you think you had before pressure??

Back