6.5 choices

Baloons are an excellent teaching method. They give excellent feedback and they make it fun for both kids and adults. Use them at staggered distances from 100 to max distance. Make cheap 2x4 frames with cardboard backers to tape baloons to. Have student shoot a different yardage each time. Good practice. A fun game.

Great idea GL. For an even more anxiety producing practice session, tie the balloon on a stick driven into the ground. The breezing moving it around provides an additional challenge.

I love this place. I think we have been ignoring the most important advice for this young hunter. Make sure the rifle fits her! A young person trying to shoot an adult length stock is a recipe for a poor shooting experience all the way around. One thing I have been doing is going through stuff in my disabled state, and I found the stock I started my son on when he was 12. I had to laugh because he is now a 6 foot 5 inch adult! Length of pull on that stock is 12 inches. Along with Farleg's advice on practice, make sure she it practicing good form. Work on building her confidence. Make shooting fun!

In my opinion, the recoil difference between the 112 and the 124 isn't significant. So pick a bullet that gives you confidence. That is why I have settled on the 118HHT. Besides I like being a little different. I'll hunt elk with that bullet if I have to. With my broken neck, I might have to hunt with a light recoiling gun this year. Besides the nice compromise, I have confidence in the round. Last year I hunted with the 115 grain Power Hammer. The nice thing about reloading is developing your own load. Have your daughter participate in developing her own load. The number one round for moose in Scandinavia in the 6.5 Creedmoor is the S&B 120 grain all copper bullet at 2,840 fps. A 112 or 118 or 124 Hammer properly placed should work well on a cow elk at a reasonable distance. Here is my favorite 6.5 Creedmoor load.

CALIBER: .______________6.5 Creedmoor
BULLET:________________118 gr. HHT
POWDER:______________ 45.5 Grains of StaBall 6.5
PRIMER: _______________CCI-BR2
BRASS _________________Lapua once fired
COAL: _________________2.780" 1/4 Lee crimp
BARREL LENGTH: ______24"
TWIST: ________________ 1-8
VELOCITY: 3024 fps
RIFLE: Tikka T3 Lite
Temp 48F
Elevation 2500 ft
Excess pressure signs at 46.2 gr.
Accuracy node was at 45.5 gr. 3/8" 5 shot group at 100 yards

Last edited:
@les

I know the 118hht makes a lot of sense on paper but in reality Farleg says it’s not consistent on game. I now have zero reservations about what farleg says about a pill. We saw the same differences between the 264/100hht and the 264/112hht while I was in Tassie. The 112hht is extremely consistent terminally and the 100hht was not. Still kills but not always as fast as the 112.

For an elk, I’d want the most consistent performance and that would be the 264/125hht. If recoil was too much for the shooter, I’d step down to the 112hht and limit my shot angles. My gut says this isn’t necessary but I would be concerned on a steep quartering shot through the shoulder or paunch. I know the shank is getting through but that doesn’t necessarily mean the bubble would. Resulting in a longer recovery. I’d personally like to see some more big game results from the 112hht before going all in for elk as at some point a pill gets too light for bigger animal. I just don’t know where that line is on elk.

I hope you heal up soon and get an elk shot with the 118hht. I look forward to you getting out in the mountains again.

Best wishes
Kneedeep

Thanks Kneedeep. I just went through my stash of bullets. I guess I'll have to try some of the 125 HHT bullets. I am getting better. The biggest issue in my recovery is that bones take a long time to heal. I did try mounting my 6.5 today. Nope - can't get past the neck brace.

I'm really hoping that the brace will be off June 15th and I can be cleared to at least shoot the Creedmoor.

Thanks Kneedeep. I just went through my stash of bullets. I guess I'll have to try some of the 125 HHT bullets. I am getting better. The biggest issue in my recovery is that bones take a long time to heal. I did try mounting my 6.5 today. Nope - can't get past the neck brace.

I'm really hoping that the brace will be off June 15th and I can be cleared to at least shoot the Creedmoor.
Gday Les I can’t wait till the 15th & hope your cleared
If by any chance you are in need of something let us know as I’m pretty sure we will get it done

Looking forward to you getting behind the trigger again
Cheers

Back