6.5Wby RPM 110HH

dchamp

Yesterday I went out to develop a load for the 110gr Hammer Hunter using IMR4350. All prep and loading was done at the range. I took only one piece of virgin brass for the whole session. Everything went fairly well. The only problem was the wind. It seemed to only exist when I weighed powder, which caused small periods of waiting.

Without any prep I primed, charged powder, seated bullet and fired the virgin piece. Then I measured for shoulder bump, sized and trimmed to case o.a.l., primed, charged, seated and fired. I did this thirteen times and the case is only now showing faint signs of stress.

Loading this caliber and bullet previously with another powder in the same burn rate range I decided to start with 60 grains of IMR4350. I worked up to 62 grains where I decided to stop even though I had no indications of pressure the than a change in recoil. I had also reached a velocity speed similar to the previous load.

The 62 grain load grouped well. The wind increased so I ended the session. Now I will load a dozen or so rounds to validate my group and shoot some distance.

The Shot Marker is showing down range velocity (100yds) MV was around 3425fps. The red arrow is pointing to stress mark (future case separation). The full case picture is after the 13th firing that day.
IMG_0004.PNGIMG_0300.jpegIMG_0297.jpeg

Is that a pic of your 6.5 RPM?

If so, where did you get the barrel?

Edit: How do you like the Shot Marker?...does it behave reliably?

Last edited:
No, that’s a Blaser R8 in .300Wby. I took that picture a couple of weeks ago. My 6.5Wby RPM is a 1st generation Backcountry Ti.

Back