700 donor action

Be350ka

I currently have a 700 long action that I’d like to have re barreled into something that I’ll actually use. I’m interested in making this a 7 PRC but who the builder should be has me stumped.

If you have any recommendations on who I should consider for this 7 PRC long range capable hunting rifle please let me know.

It will be an interesting conversation with some builders to see if going this route makes sense financially.

I just think that “repurposing” this action and picking the components from the ground up might be a fun endeavor.

It will be an interesting conversation with some builders to see if going this route makes sense financially.

I just think that “repurposing” this action and picking the components from the ground up might be a fun endeavor.
I'm all for doing fun biulds. I've got a few of them including a 30-28 Nosler. I enjoy doing something different.
You might talk with Hoover Precision. They biuld the rifles for Steve at Hammer bullets and are located just up the road from Hammer.

Kris

I'm all for doing fun biulds. I've got a few of them including a 30-28 Nosler. I enjoy doing something different.
You might talk with Hoover Precision. They biuld the rifles for Steve at Hammer bullets and are located just up the road from Hammer.

Kris
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

Assuming its a magnum bolt face from 7PRC comment. Me? I would go with 7RM, true up action, add freebore to chambering to accommodate longer higher BC bullets sonce the 700LA has an extremely long COAL of magazine ~3.67". Also at least 1:8 tw. You can shoot pretty much anything then. Maybe consider a Remage build?

My builder is Bart Baldwin of Baldwin Gun Works in Marion, IL. I got hooked up with him turning a barrel for me for a 224 Grendel, and since then he has built me a complete full custom bolt action as well as turned several barrels for me. All of them are shooters, he does phenomenal work!

Assuming its a magnum bolt face from 7PRC comment. Me? I would go with 7RM, true up action, add freebore to chambering to accommodate longer higher BC bullets sonce the 700LA has an extremely long COAL of magazine ~3.67". Also at least 1:8 tw. You can shoot pretty much anything then. Maybe consider a Remage build?
If he only has a standard bolt face, he can go with a 7mm-6.5 RPM, it will give you the same capacity as a 7RM, but no belt, and no mag bolt face needed. There are already reamers available for it as well.

It won't be cheap. Options are endless.
If it's what you want and you see the value then do it.
Others might buy a custom action to start with.
One gunsmith in Australia builds new rifles off new Tikkas. High value rifles.
For years Remington were sought after for donor actions.
Cost vs Value vs Need. Do what makes you happy.
For something a little different I think the 7prc would be good. I've been reading about it.

I think you should look at the 35 Whelen. I am building two at the moment. I think you will be very surprised at the performance. Brass is easy and good bullets available.

Steve Pratt at Elk Meadow Performance did a similar build for me a couple years ago on a rem 700 donor action. He did a fantastic job at a reasonable price.

I just wouldn’t plan on having it by the fall :)

Back