7mm PRC bullet recs

dukebh40

Hi all,

Was hoping for some input from you about 7 PRC bullet recs.

I'm shooting a fierce rage with a 24" barrel and 1-8" twist. Thus far have been trying H1000 as I have it available and can't find RL 26. Only other powders I have on hand currently are varget and H4350.

I just tried the 170HHT and couldn't get them better than about an inch. Really hoping for 0.5 MOA. Was considering trying the newer HHT in either the 162 gr or 153 gr, but wanted to see if anyone had thoughts if one would potentially work better than the other? I'd also be open to trying AH or HH if you thought that might serve me better.

@OutdoorEdventure Carbon barrel. The 175 ELDx have shot great (0.5 MOA, maybe even less). It is the only non-copper bullet I've tried.

I also tried 168 lrx and 160 cx. They both were very inconsistent. Average around 1-1.5 MOA. But would sometimes have two bullets in same hole and then a third bullet would be a flyer to 1-1.5 MOA.

@gltaylor I hunt a mix of everything. I am going on a moose hunt in newfoundland this Fall. I also hunt Elk/mulies in wyoming. I live in pennsylvania and whitetail is a mainstay. Range can be a bit all over. In PA, often under 100 yds, newfoundland from what I hear is typically 300-400 and under. Wyoming can be as far as I want to shoot, typically I try to stay under 500 yds.

Last edited:
@dukebh40 ,
Have you looked at the load data tables under Reloading? Over 400 pages of data.
You will find moderate weight to lighter weight pills will do very well in your 7mm. Velocity will be good/better too. Seems the 131 range bullets are very effective and lethal. Most of us took a while to get used to lighter faster bullets.
Do what's comfortable for you. But I suggest going much lighter than 150-160gr weights. Jm2cw🙂

Gday dukebh40

GL has you on the right track

If you are still uneasy going below 150 the 153 hht is the one I’d suggest
I’m not overly worried with weight & your ranges your going to be pretty well up the velocity impact ranges

Could we have a little extra information please
What is your coal & the velocities you got out of the 170hht & the 175eldx

& did you clean your barrel prior to shooting hammers

Cheers

@Farleg I don't have my coal but my base to O-give on the hammers was 2.680 (20 thousandths short of lands). I had tried other seating depths up to .100 off the lands. Speed was great, the load that shot best was giving an average of 3080fps.

The ELDx I didn't reload, I just shot the factory ammo and it was slower than advertised at 2875fps.

I did thoroughly clean the barrel with barnes copper solvent when switching bullets and before trying hammers.

I’ve had pretty good luck with the 162hht and N560. Got 3215 fps at 68 grains. If the fog clears I’m going to try and fine tune the load today. Shooting around .75 moa. Gonna try minor seating depths and powder charge changes.

Last edited:
@dukebh40,
I’m in a similar situation as you, meaning I am getting close to having to pick the Hammer that I will run in my 7 PRC. I was stuck on heavy for caliber bullets. But the more I look around on here and see results, lighter leaves almost nothing on the table, with only possible downside being wind drift, but inside 500 shouldn’t be much of a problem on that. I’m saying all this to say, that even though I was on the heavy-for-caliber train, I’ve been able realize that I can go lighter and be even better off. I’m between the 145 HHT and the 153 HHT for my 7 PRC. In these Hammers, a Hammer that is 30 grains lighter than your heavier cup & core is going to far out-penetrate it. To highlight this, I was just reading a thread on here about a member running the 145 HHT out of his 280AI at I believe a little over 2,800 fps. I believe it was two elk that he shot, and the guide told him he could “tune down” his load if he wanted because of how effective the bullet is. ( tried to find this thread, and couldn’t remember which one. Maybe someone can link it). This to say, a 145 at 2,800 blew the guides mind for effectiveness.

Brad, if it’s smooth bore, it qualifies in primitive season. 😂😂😂

Okay, I won’t derail the thread. Back on track here. But Brad did just corroborate my pondering. 145 or 153

Was able to shoot yesterday. Best I could do was .75 moa at 68 grains N560 at 3200 fps. Seated bullet deeper and the group opened up. Went back to 20 thousands off jam. Played with charge weight. Got it to .5moa with 66 grains n560 at 3100 FPS. 3rd shot was the lowest. Probably me that did that. Will play some more. Target at 200 yds. 162 HHT.

Attachments

• IMG_1456.jpeg
    IMG_1456.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Back