7X57 Ackley Imp

Sr Chief

Started a project some years back that I never finished, until Yesterday. Bought an old tang safety Ruger M77 chambered in 7X57AI about 7 yrs ago and couldnt get it to shoot very good. After some inspection I noticed it had a looooong throat. I bought a Kreiger barrel and Boyds stock and took the action and barrel to my gunsmith who put the barrel on it and cerakoted the rifle. I reassembled it and it shot better but not where I wanted it to be. Then time to moved 400 miles etc and it was shelved until yesterday. Dug it out, and bedded the bottom metal because the floorplate would fall open every shot and fixed the problem. Re assembled, torqued bolts and check to be sure barrel was free floated and it was not. Free floated the barrel and then had to inlet for the safety as it would not move after torquing the screws. Torqued it all down and everything was fine. Cleaned the bore and ready for the range on Monday. I'll update this next week and attach a pic of the rifle. Been a fun project so far. Loaded 101 HH for testing over N-540

Looks great, Sr Chief! Hope it shoots well.
Your rifle and the gains a 7x57 can get per the Ackley chart someone posted in another thread have me seriously considering this.
My first bolt build (assembly?) was a 7x57 on a Tikka action. Though it is push feed—which is borderline anathema for a Mauser cartridge!—I am a big fan of it. Might add the 7x57AI to the list behind 6.5 PRC, 30-06AI, and 300 WSM. Yes, I have a problem…

Back