Bargain Rifle

Gerald Dilgard

Hammer Time Executive member
A few years ago I went to Walmart one day and noticed a rifle in the rack, Axis-2 with accu-trigger. Camo with scope for under $400. I bought it and had never used a 6,5 CM before. Let me tell you the only thing that comes close to it is my wife's Tikka. I started out with 143 ELD-X over 36 of 4064 and it shot bug holes. Then tried 120 GMX and killed a pig that charged me. After spending the whole summer at 100 and 200 yards I shot the pig at 35 feet. In the right eye and out behind the left ear. Hard to tell much about bullet performance from that shot, Then I moved to Barnes LRX over 42 of H4350. Again it shot very well. Killed a 450 lbs pig with that. Then I moved to Hammers. Holy Crap Sometimes I can't even see my groups thru the scope. Used a 124HH over 40 of Varget to kill a cow Elk last fall and next I'll go after a Hind, ( female red stag) with an 85 HH at over 3400fps. For a cheap combo rifle, BTW throw out the POS scope that comes with it. But it's a shooter for sure. I think Walmart had a deal with Savage because it has a heavy barrel. That's the only place I have ever seen them.

A few years back, a quick search on the internet for 1000 yard rifles, that one would have popped up at the bottom of the list. My buddy's wife used to work for Walmart and she bought one with her 15% employees discount. She brought it home and a box of the cheap Winchester ammo and that sucker would shoot small Clover leafs at 100 yards. That was one of my eye opening Creedmoor target rifle moments.

Savage has always been known for making shooters.

Nah, it was a 6.5CM pure and simple. A shovel handle in 6.5CM shoots lights out!😱😂

There is no doubt a Savage just shoots. Nothing fancy about them other they flat out shoot!

I won exact same rifle, sold it for new build funding and yes, regret it! Even though not a .270Win😂, I wish I kept it! The guy I sold it to keeps telling me how great it shoots with factory ammo. I keep thanking him for the information while under my breath💩.

2 of my 270‘s are savage they wII shoot tight groups also. They like Federal premium 130 seria boat tails. We had no problem with elk with the 130’s.
I just got the 117 HH in a couple weeks ago. I cant wait to try them

2 of my 270‘s are savage they wII shoot tight groups also. They like Federal premium 130 seria boat tails. We had no problem with elk with the 130’s.
I just got the 117 HH in a couple weeks ago. I cant wait to try them
My 270 likes 57 of RL-17 with the 117HH.

Just be aware its pretty skittish on temp sensitivity. I shoot it a lot in 300WSM so pick my days based on ambient load development.
I do my serious testing in March, April and May when the temps will be nearly the same as when I hunt. If it shoots well at 60 degrees in April It should shoot the same in late September at 60 degrees. I have learned from my mistakes over the years. TAC that showed no pressure sign in the winter, needs a rubber hammer to get the bolt open in July. Reloader 17 is one I keep my eye on the temp for summer time target work. Most of my summer loads are H 4350, RL-16, Varget, IMR 4064.

Reloader 17 is dangerously temp sensitive.....be careful with that powder if you live in an area where temps fluctuate. Even more scary when you are loading bullets that like the upper end of the speed spectrum, which means you have already maxed out it's potential.....temps go up and you have created a very dangerous situation. Just my two cents. I'm really not sure why a person would used such a powder when the only gain is 100 fps or so......just stick with a safe powder

My fav (this year) is Savage Axis II 280AI, 20” 1-8TR running 140AH 3280FPS. Bought on LRH around $325. Purchased a Swiss scope on LRH for $125. I’d take this combo around the world. Dang thing weighs 7.8lbs. Accuracy out to 400 yards is stellar.

My fav (this year) is Savage Axis II 280AI, 20” 1-8TR running 140AH 3280FPS. Bought on LRH around $325. Purchased a Swiss scope on LRH for $125. I’d take this combo around the world. Dang thing weighs 7.8lbs. Accuracy out to 400 yards is stellar.
Does the accuracy fall off after 400?

Reloader 17 is dangerously temp sensitive.....be careful with that powder if you live in an area where temps fluctuate. Even more scary when you are loading bullets that like the upper end of the speed spectrum, which means you have already maxed out it's potential.....temps go up and you have created a very dangerous situation. Just my two cents. I'm really not sure why a person would used such a powder when the only gain is 100 fps or so......just stick with a safe powder
Thank you I live in very south Alabama. I will stick to H 4350

Thank you I live in very south Alabama. I will stick to H 4350
I live in Upstate NY. Few days hit 90. Most of our deer season is 40 degrees or less. I recall a few opening days with a foot of snow on the ground. Layers of wool and lots of them. You are spot on with your choice of H4350. That's great at any temp.

Back