Barrel cooling at range

2Tone

Hammer Time Executive member
Thoughts on what other’s do. I purchased one of those little red battery operated cooler’s called riflekuhl but it loves batteries. This is what I do now fairly cheep and blows a lot of air I run about 4 or 5 mins in between shots to keep things consistent.🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_1105.jpeg
    IMG_1105.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
With all that said I don't use either one of them any more. Not sure if the high velocity air going down the barrel causes condensation🤔 That made me paranoid... So now I cool my Barrel with a radio.

Yes for me it depends on the day. If I bring enough guns and the weather is cool enough I don't bother. I have never really thought about the condensation aspect of it.

I have a couple, the Barrel Cool doesn't work well at all and eats batteries.
My Chamber Chiller does work, just not as quickly as I'd like especially in summer. But it works, and runs off a USB battery pack so no need to keep buying batteries. In winter it works best, in summer it's better than nothing but is too slow.
In summer air alone isn't enough...

Get a small cooler and fill with ice. Throw in a few sodas to drink. When the barrel is hot, run an ice cube or two up and down it, will cool it in about a minute.

Most of the time I just leave the bolt open and place muzzle up which allows convection to pump air through the bore.

For p-dogs/ground squirrels its hard to beat a cooler with ice and a wet towel. Water is a very good conductor of heat and has a high specific heat capacity - fold wet towel a few times and drape over barrel for a minute or two, then get back to making red mist!! 💥💥💥

Most of the time I just leave the bolt open and place muzzle up which allows convection to pump air through the bore.

For p-dogs/ground squirrels it’s hard to beat a cooler with ice and a wet towel. Water is a very good conductor of heat and has a high specific heat capacity - fold wet towel a few times and drape over barrel for a minute or two, then get back to making red mist!! 💥💥💥
Hand skills and Koda I will try both.. I have used snow when it was around.seems like last couple year’s early spring in NW Oregon there’s been a fair amount. Never really thought about loading up ice box and wet towels! Trying not to forget important stuff! Thanks everyone for input not a cool thread but getting cooler😎

I live in south texas and have used the ac in the truck method often. I would caution leaving in the ac too long because the scope will fog up and condensation will appear on the metal with abrupt temperature changes when bringing it back out in the heat.

Tygon tubing curled up in small cooler with water and ice "refrigerates" the air before going into rifle bore. Never saw condensation, patched few times to confirm. Does lower ambient temp quite a bit. Temp is royal PITA!! I do most of my shooting Jan-April! Range to myself plus temps are consistent with hunting conditions. I try to pick cooler days to shoot like in 60's. In Michigan, does happen. I have older truck and decided to put inverter in rear of bed to use 110v since I can back right up to bench. Trying to get club to run power to benches!

Back