Barrel life

Mountainman

Hammer Time Executive member
A wise old Sasquatch brought this up a while back and I got to thinking about it today and decided to put a pencil to it. It comes down to this, I'll use a 28 Nosler as an example as they supposedly go through barrels faster than most. So let's say you only get the often estimated 800 rounds out of your 28 Nosler barrel before the accuracy goes south. Let's also say you mostly shoot 180 bullets at 3200 fps. Given that the bullet moves 1 foot in 1/3200ths of a second, total time in a 24" barrel is 2/3200ths or 1/1600ths of a second. 800 rounds would be 800/1600ths or 1/2 of a second of actual barrel life.

Don't worry though, you're 30-06 barrel should last 4 or 5 seconds no problem.

No telling how many minutes Farleg will get out of his barrel :)

Gday mountainman
🤣🤣
That’s a cool way of looking @ it

Barrel life is one that comes up often & definitely gets some interesting thoughts

I’d say we have to personally look @ that on a case by case base for ea individual
& I’ll leave that there before GL has a coronary 🤣🤣
Cheers

Very interesting😁!
If so, guess I've only got a minute or so invested in total?😳
My 243 AI is on it's 6th barrel, 25/06 AI it's 2nd, the 6x47 is shot out, but probably won't be replaced - don't shoot it much any more. The 7 RUM is pretty toasty, but still shoots pretty well and Joe 16 gifted me a new factory take off. The 6.5 Max is getting pretty fire cracked, but still shoots 0.5 so far.
One of the benefits of switch barrels is just screw one off & put another one on?!?

Sasquatch you know maybe??? This is why Barrel Life Management is so important at bench. Hot rod cartridges REQUIRE temp management or your life cycle can go down to a 1/3 of a second 😂😱! Some powders add to this demise and barrels can go way faster. Toss in unique throats and times a wasting!

@ButterBean said it BEST a LONG time ago, barrels are part of the shooting consumables. Its like having a Roadrunner and worry about spinning the tires.

If barrel life is so worrisome, shoot a .308Win.

Consumables? You bet!
Wish the suppliers gave volume discounts😳
Farleg's RUM is now a smoothbore....but it is still shoots well enough!
A miracle of nature!
I may take a vacation when ya'll find out how many rounds are on Farleg's "new" 6.5 barrel without cleaning🤔🤪🤯. I may put 911 on speed dial!!!!

Gday
Hey Les
My grandfather was a gunsmith in WW one. He was always tinkering. His motto drilled into his two sons and grandchildren was keep the barrel clean, and don't over heat it.
i do after ea shot I fire another lol
Great wise words right there
I don’t advocate what I’m doing in my 6.5 as it’s way over the top imo ok George massively

My rum is different that was basically cooked & max of a 300 yard deer rifle with accubonds as it’s fired a hell of a lot of rounds then hammers came along & my groups have shrunk & I can comfortably go to 600 with it on a deer but I don’t like shooting that far anymore but hammers have definitely gave it new life & it will be a while before I crack 10k down that barrel but my plan is to get there & then shoot a 500 yard group

Till then I’ll keep my 6.5 numbers till I clean which will be probably it’s Xmas present as riceman just sent me some pills that are for the other terminal tests I plan on completing

More to come no doubt but fun times ahead
Cheers

Back