Bullet for Savage 116 30-06

FishinAK

Hello gents!
For 3 years I’ve been loading 181 Shock Hammers for my T3X, with fantastic results.

Now recently acquired a nearly new Savagw 116 chambered in 30-06. Believe it’s a 1:10 twist.

Looking for bullet and recipe suggestions. Especially those using Varget or H1000 (I have lots).

Will mainly be used with in 400 yards for black bears, deer, and mountain goat.

Thanks in advance!!

Hello gents!
For 3 years I’ve been loading 181 Shock Hammers for my T3X, with fantastic results.

Now recently acquired a nearly new Savagw 116 chambered in 30-06. Believe it’s a 1:10 twist.

Looking for bullet and recipe suggestions. Especially those using Varget or H1000 (I have lots).

Will mainly be used with in 400 yards for black bears, deer, and mountain goat.

Thanks in advance!!
See this is your first post so a welcome is in order! Lots of good info in link below.

Welcome from Wolverine state!
Some suggested reading!

Thread 'New Member Read Recommendations'
https://hammerbullets.com/hammertime/threads/new-member-read-recommendations.1622/

Hello and thanks for the welcome. But actually I’m just newly returning. I couldn’t remember my old username/password. And took about a 18 month hiatus from the reloading bench.

But now back at it with a new rifle to develop a load for.
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I’ll order some 152 Shock Hammers. And try them w the Varget.

Thanks again!

☝️ this guys rifle is going to scream.🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀

If you have any of the 135 shock hammers or 137 hhs, you can use these for the majority of your pressure workup. The bullet profiles are close enough that you won't get in trouble if you choose to go this route. That's if you want to be cheap like me🤓

Joe

You know, after sleeping on this, I decided I wanna try to load the 181 SHs in the 30-06 too. This reducing the number of 30 cal bullets I have on hand. …and I have also had great luck w this bullet.

But the more I read, looks like Varget is NOT ideal for this bigger pill.

Looks like the ideal powder to start w would be H4350. Of course neither of the 2 outlets in our 1 horse town has 4350. So, I’ll keep an eye out.

Unless…. Don’t think H1000 is too slow for 30-06?

I run 180HH in my son's 06 with W760 at 2875 out of 22" brl. Extremely accurate and kills like lightning. Great case fill and W760 has been go to for 06. The load is posted.

Thanks for the replies.
I loaded up some 181 Shoch Hammers w H4350 last night. I’ll let ya know how they perform.

Only unexpected was COAL ended up being very short at 3.13, in order to stay out of the lands.

Holy smokes! I forgot how “slippery “ Hammers are!
Worked up to 57 grains of H4350. Behind an 181 Shock Hammer. And had a V0 of 2,936.

Am I wrong, thinking that’s smokin fast for a 181 in an 3006?

No pressure signs. But think I’ll stop there. …although, I’m curious.

Holy smokes! I forgot how “slippery “ Hammers are!
Worked up to 57 grains of H4350. Behind an 181 Shock Hammer. And had a V0 of 2,936.

Am I wrong, thinking that’s smokin fast for a 181 in an 3006?

No pressure signs. But think I’ll stop there. …although, I’m curious.
Nope, seems spot on for Hammers! But obviously is fast for this weight bullet in 06. My son's 700 ADL 06 with 22" barrel hit same with 180HH and W760. His hunting load is 2875.

Back