Case Trimmer Options?

Richcotte

Hammer Time Executive member
For those of you who load multiple calibers, what have you found to be the best option in ease of setup for case trimming?

I currently use an RCBS Trim Pro, but find it difficult to get repeatability when changing between cartridges and calibers and back. I'd like to find an option that once I set it for a given caliber and case length, I don't have to worry about changing back and forth.

I only load a very few calibres and I use the Lee case trimmer studs, screw the stud into the cutter and leave it, if you need to shorten your trim length for any reason then carefully sand the tip down a little at a time.
That cutter/stud setup then is dedicated to that cartridge/rifle. If I pick up a new rifle caliber then I get another cutter and stud for that one too. There only a few bucks and especially for my small operations that is all I need, also because it’s a hard steel on steel stop, the case length always comes out exactly the same within a couple thousands range.

I use the Frankford Arsenal Case Trim and Prep. IT WILL NOT WORK ON STAIGHT WALL CASES!!

I love it. I make good notes of what spacer I use and then I trim one piece of brass to set my trim length. I take a sharpie and mark the brass and with trim length and spacer used. I use that brass to set up the trim depth every time I trim that caliber. It works amazing and is fast. I can trim, chamfer and deburr all at the same time. One trick I use is to spin the case in my hand 1/2 turn every time I trim my brass. It really cleans it up nice and gives good consistent trim lengths.

I use the little crow gunworks trimmers. They are fast and make nice clean cuts.

I use the Frankford Arsenal Case Trim and Prep. IT WILL NOT WORK ON STAIGHT WALL CASES!!

I love it. I make good notes of what spacer I use and then I trim one piece of brass to set my trim length. I take a sharpie and mark the brass and with trim length and spacer used. I use that brass to set up the trim depth every time I trim that caliber. It works amazing and is fast. I can trim, chamfer and deburr all at the same time. One trick I use is to spin the case in my hand 1/2 turn every time I trim my brass. It really cleans it up nice and gives good consistent trim lengths.
This. I made a video of using it, but @Farleg told me it was bad and I needed to remake it from a different angle. Tough crowd here... 🤣

He was right tho. I also had a slight cough and had to talk like a weirdo as not to cough every 3 seconds.

It does take some finesse to switch between cartridges, but I don't know of a better system that allows control over trim depth for the money. I can blast through the setup between cartridges now that I've good experience doing it. At first it was a little monkey football. You do need to be consistent with your shoulder bumps as the unit indexes off the shoulder for the trim length.

This recommendation comes after 20yrs of using the Lee drill kits...

Last edited:
I just picked up the LE Wilson micrometer trimmer. So far, I've trimmed ~325 pcs of .277 Wolverine brass using the 300 AAC case holder. Results are within 0.0005" across the board. I got the FA platinum case prep center and fingers are much happier now that I'm not using the trimmer portion.

Gday
I don’t get you lot 😜

Over complicating things again 🤔

This is all you need

48EB0B53-D22B-4B33-96DD-9591EEC47A65.jpeg
🤣🤣🤪🤪

Seriously I use this old girl
image.jpg
As you can see I don’t use it very often as my brass gets lost or is toast before it needs trimming

Bertrum & adg are really the only brands of brass I trim rest is to soft & I don’t bother even worry about trimming that other stuff I use

Cheers

Dude has a Frankfort case trimmer discussed in this thread.

For those of you who load multiple calibers, what have you found to be the best option in ease of setup for case trimming?

I currently use an RCBS Trim Pro, but find it difficult to get repeatability when changing between cartridges and calibers and back. I'd like to find an option that once I set it for a given caliber and case length, I don't have to worry about changing back and forth.
better late than never!

i also use a trim pro. i make a master case to the exact trim i want, mark it with sharpie and then i can reuse it to setup my trimmer. "set it and forget it" if you will

IMG_0717(2).JPG

Back