Chrony Beta Master above 4000 fps

littlebighorn

Hammer Time Executive member
I finally got to shoot my 220 Swift today with 44g HHs but the highest my Chrony would read was 3968.
I was just getting lots of Err messages.
It read all of 9 of my 300 WSM shots at between 3250-3300 fps, but it only caught 4 out of 24 shots with my Swift and they were all sub-4K
I am told my Labradar won't read 4K so I didn't even set it up, but I thought my Chrony would go above 4.
If you know this model all all ears for suggestions.

Most older models have a 9999 FPS rating. Got old Caldwell up to 5060 FPS but I’ve discovered lighting is absolutely essential. Best days are constant over cast. Direct sun light is bad. Worst is mix of cloud cover and sunlight.

Don’t need meter (light) bars on constant cloudy days. Absolutely need them on full sunny days.

Correct LR won’t go above 4K.
Using magneto now. Got 4670 highest to date.

Most older models have a 9999 FPS rating. Got old Caldwell up to 5060 FPS but I’ve discovered lighting is absolutely essential. Best days are constant over cast. Direct sun light is bad. Worst is mix of cloud cover and sunlight.

Don’t need meter (light) bars on constant cloudy days. Absolutely need them on full sunny days.

Correct LR won’t go above 4K.
Using magneto now. Got 4670 highest to date.
So you are saying lighting is more critical for higher speeds? I ask because all of my slower speeds seemed to record with the same light.
I actually put a board up to shade it from the morning sun light but it still only read the slower shots.
I have experienced direct sunlight causing issues, especially from the side.
Any suggestions or tricks to try???

How would it work setting up under one of those tailgating type awnings? Too much shade?
We got one for soccer games and such, but I have never tried it with the Chrono.
I can try it soon-ish if that interests you.
My shots wont get anywhere near 4000fps, though, so might not be helpful.

How would it work setting up under one of those tailgating type awnings? Too much shade?
We got one for soccer games and such, but I have never tried it with the Chrono.
I can try it soon-ish if that interests you.
My shots wont get anywhere near 4000fps, though, so might not be helpful.
That may be a good idea but I don't know if that would allow enough light? The manual says on cloudy days to remove the shades so there is enough light to catch the bullet flight. It might work and I'd love to hear how it goes if you try it. Thanks

Sorry I haven’t gotten to this yet. Life happened I am heading out of town in the morning for job #2. It is on my to-do list, I promise!

Absolutely no problem aratliff. A very generous gesture from you to even try. I’m actually hoping to shoot Saturday so I’m still working on other fixes. Thanks man and take care of life because it does “happen”!

Well all my problems were solved by simply shooting on an overcast day. This morning my Chrony picked up 13 of 13 shots and some were over 4000 fps. Unfortunately we don’t have that lighting condition on many days that I shoot. At least I know now the issue is light.

Back