Creative Help

Gerald Dilgard

Hammer Time Executive member
I have taken on writing a weekly blog for our Gun Club facebook page. I thought this weekend I would do it on copper bullets. About a year ago I saw a chart on Hammer Bullets and what percent the shaft would weigh after the impact. Does any one have that someplace? I live in the Peoples Republic of New York and I can see we are headed down the same path as our West Coast twin and will change over to copper only in the next 5-10 years. Everyone will be up in arms about the change but if you see it coming it's not so bad. With the help of people like us we can show them the advantage of a copper bullets, as we already know. Many of us have been eating lead our whole lives, and it shows. Any help any one can give me, I would be more than happy to accept.

I have taken on writing a weekly blog for our Gun Club facebook page. I thought this weekend I would do it on copper bullets. About a year ago I saw a chart on Hammer Bullets and what percent the shaft would weigh after the impact. Does any one have that someplace? I live in the Peoples Republic of New York and I can see we are headed down the same path as our West Coast twin and will change over to copper only in the next 5-10 years. Everyone will be up in arms about the change but if you see it coming it's not so bad. With the help of people like us we can show them the advantage of a copper bullets, as we already know. Many of us have been eating lead our whole lives, and it shows. Any help any one can give me, I would be more than happy to accept.
Gerald,
Good morning from your twin state..
I think that the information you are looking for its best to just quote what they have on there website.

80% for shock hammer line
60-70% hammer hunter line
45-55% for deadblow line.

These are general numbers but close.
We have for various reasons not posted exact numbers anymore, trade secrets etc.
The website will be better to quote from than my memory 🤪
Thanks for taking the time to write up some educational information for your group.
Alan

Gerald,
Good morning from your twin state..
I think that the information you are looking for its best to just quote what they have on there website.

80% for shock hammer line
60-70% hammer hunter line
45-55% for deadblow line.

These are general numbers but close.
We have for various reasons not posted exact numbers anymore, trade secrets etc.
The website will be better to quote from than my memory 🤪
Thanks for taking the time to write up some educational information for your group.
Alan
Would Lever Hammers be about the same as Shock Hammers?

Good question, my personal experience would say closer to hammer hunter line.
This would include power hammers and the HHT line.
This is just my opinion.
Others may have different experiences.

2nd Riceman's opinion. I've shot several deer with Lever Hammers.
Good for you Gerald! You're doing your fellow hunters a great service - even if they don't know it yet😃

Probably comparing apples to oranges..... I'm one of the "speed demons".
I've shot several deer with the 30 cal 120 LH (some of which I tinkered with). My typical muzzle velocity is in excess of 4000 fps. Impact velocities are usually around 3700+.
I can tell you that at those velocities, heart/lungs become chowder/mush.
I'm trying to find an equivalent for my pet 6.5 cal 85gr "zoomies" in my 30 cal rifles. I'm pretty close😄

Back