Dove

RLL

With opening of Dove season here in Texas, the annual tradition with family and friends has begun.

Had some good shoots at the home place in Brownwood TX this weekend. Limits of local dove to be had and 1 on our group took a local banded white wing.

So how do I like my dove…well here’s what’s been on the menu for a few years.

I clean the dove breasts and cut all meat off the bone. Find a fatty spare steak laying around (we do ranch). I try for a 90/10 mix. chop meat course and season with powdered garlic, salt, onion, chili powder, cumin. One run through the meat grinder and done.

For most pan and stuffed meat recipes it’s good to go. Chille rellenos, tacos, picadillo…

If going for burgers or sausage, I’ll leave out the Mexican seasoning and add more beef or pork for an 80/20 mix to stuff or grill.

Happy hunting and would love to hear your tried and true methods for eating the beloved dove!

I debone the breasts, soak them in ice water a few hours, then buttermilk over night in the fridge. Cut a Jalapeño in half and de-seed it Put a breast and a slab of cream cheese in the jap, wrap in thin cut bacon, and grill or bake in oven.
Dove poppers are a classic. I like to cook the bacon and jalapeño half way first to keep the dove from over cooking past medium.

My son brought home half a dozen last night so we will be having an appetizer of dove sometime soon.

Reactions: RLL
Back