Good news, bad news

I shot 113SHs when I first started with Hammers. Now, 85gr zoomies. They work just fine in our deer out to 400 yds.
Probably haven't shot my CM in 2 yrs at a deer. Keep it at the back door for coyotes, coons and other vermin.
I got infected by the speed demon virus.
Now I try to stay at or above 4k. The CM is out of it's league if you want high velocity.

I shot 113SHs when I first started with Hammers. Now, 85gr zoomies. They work just fine in our deer out to 400 yds.
Probably haven't shot my CM in 2 yrs at a deer. Keep it at the back door for coyotes, coons and other vermin.
I got infected by the speed demon virus.
Now I try to stay at or above 4k. The CM is out of it's league if you want high velocity.
OK GL - It is going to be the 124 grain Hammer Hunter. Not the 6.5mm out of the Creedmoor, but 124 grain Hammer Hunters in 30 cal. out of the Remington 300 Ultra Mag at 4,200 fps. Sorry CBH, I have the fever.

Aw C'mon! Ya gotta take him! Let him knock one down, show him how to field dress, THEN....hand him raw liver to take bite out of! Blood stripes on cheeks, you pick.🤣
I did that with a goose heart and a kid that used to run around with me. He killed a big honker and when I was cleaning it I told him he had to eat the heart since it was his first kill and everyone does that with their first kill. He took a big bite and I asked how did it taste and he said don't you know? Hell no I never ate heart cooked let alone raw!:ROFLMAO:

So, I'm having a rifle built for my granddaughter in 6.5 CM, 8 twist. Deer and antelope. No long range stuff. She'll take hunter safety next year. I know I'm spoiling her, but that's what grandparents are for, right? I know some hate it because of hype, but it's low-recoil, essentially the same as a 6.5x55 or .260 (which my wife uses), but great availability of factory ammo and components. Especially with 2 wars and Vista selling some ammo lines to Czechoslovakia, worried things might get tight again.

Looks like Peterson has some brass in stock.

I have some 99gr HH that my wife uses in her .260. Guess I could try this.

Thinking about 124 HH too. What powders are you folks using?

As to training, her dad is a range instructor (among other things) career USArmy.

So many young people, nor their parents have ever heard of "rites of passage". It takes a Mentor who understands people. With so many touchy feely folks today, few will stick around for any kind of discipline, whether its shooting, being on time, or correction of any kind. You have to have the skin of a Rhino and the heart of a Child to be a Mentor. :)
I feel the 6.5 Creedmoor is the "today's .257 Roberts". By that I mean a round that's easy to shoot, factory loads available at reasonable price and can be pressed into use as an occasional elk rifle. On coyotes to deer/antelope, pretty snazzy little round.

Last edited:
So, I'm having a rifle built for my granddaughter in 6.5 CM, 8 twist. Deer and antelope. No long range stuff. She'll take hunter safety next year. I know I'm spoiling her, but that's what grandparents are for, right? I know some hate it because of hype, but it's low-recoil, essentially the same as a 6.5x55 or .260 (which my wife uses), but great availability of factory ammo and components. Especially with 2 wars and Vista selling some ammo lines to Czechoslovakia, worried things might get tight again.

Looks like Peterson has some brass in stock.

I have some 99gr HH that my wife uses in her .260. Guess I could try this.

Thinking about 124 HH too. What powders are you folks using?

As to training, her dad is a range instructor (among other things) career USArmy.
With the 99 HH in 6.5 CM I use 41.7 of Varget. Very accurate. My CM likes them at 2.680, my wife's likes them at 2.700. Each one seems to be different. The 85HH we use 43.5- 44 of Varget. Wife just killed a big Fallow Buck with that load. First thing to hit the ground was his chest. DRT

Gday
Missed this thread 🥲
Great read thanks
Top job mountainman 👍your going to be known as the gooey guy from now on 🤣🤣

Al seriousness on weights in the creed I like the 100 ish weights for a more general pill across a wide variety of critters & that weight hasn’t been made yet in what I’m likely to recommend so I’ll just keep pestering the hammer boys & expect the same from everyone 😜

But for now that 125 hht sits @ the top of the tree on terminal performance across so many critters in the cm class of chamberings ok I was wrong as nothing is in the cm class right 😜😇
Cheers

BTW, looks like Precision is having a pretty good deal on brass in 6.5 CM; Lapua and Peterson, large primer, and Alpha, small primer. Usually go with Lapua, but been hearing good things about the others.

Thanks much.

Back