Hammer Bullet Tests 2022

gltaylor

Staff member
(Originally posted 10/12/2022)
gltaylor
Global Moderator

Well, I'm finally about done testing bullets for this year. I've gotten some good data and extensively tested several bullets. Time to share what has been learned and hopefully it will benefit several of you.
Still haven't even shot my new RUM barrel yet. When I get to it, the "new" 138 will be the first to christen the new barrel :D ! I'd also like to shoot some deer with the 70gr HH just for my personal edification. The .243 AI is still one of my most favorite cartridges. But then......the 85gr "zoomies" in my 6.5 are calling my name. They probably feel neglected! And I'm tired of actually having to look for a deer. Bang-flops are much better!!!

Hammer Testing 2022

92gr Power Hammer .264 cal

The 92gr PH performs very well overall. Testing on multiple deer was performed at a starting muzzle velocity of 3945 in a 6.5 Sherman Max. Ranges tested were from 150 to 307 yds.. All but one shank exited. Shots were broadside, quartering and hard quartering. The hard quartering shot was a facing to me shot @ 249 yds.. The bullet entered at the front of the shoulder and the shank was under the hide at the hip. Total penetration was 34”! Two coyotes shot at 148 and 151 yds, both facing me and shot in the brisket, resulted in full body length penetration.

My impression based upon autopsies performed is that the “bubble” is good, but shorter in length and width (compared to the 85gr HH in this caliber). Petals do damage to internals, but the petals seem to be smaller than other bullets with a 1.5mm HP. Petal damage to organs is present, but petal weights seem smaller and do not penetrate as far as bullet designs with larger petal components. The petals also seem to radiate out more as compared to bullets whose petals tend to track with the bullet shank. In performance, it would seem that these bullets are very similar to the Shock Hammer design. Overall organ destruction is less than the 85gr HH, but penetration is excellent, even at very high impact velocities.

Animal reactions varied from bang-flops to runs of 80+ yds. The deer shot head-on (249 yds) had one lung lobe shredded and a petal cut a gash in the liver. Since the bullet did not exit, there was no blood trail, however the deer bled massively and filled it’s abdominal cavity with blood. This deer ran about 80 yds and crashed. The behavior of the deer once shot was that it was mortally wounded (dead but didn’t know it yet). The deer ran off in a semi circle listing about 30 degrees to the left. The recovered shank weighed 53.9 grs and was perfectly formed. Weight retention seems to be spot on (60% based upon only one shank recovered).

I would hunt with these bullets again. They do just fine. I am curious, however, how they would do at a slightly lower impact velocity. I pushed them very hard and the bullet withstood the forces applied with no problem.

103gr Power Hammer .30 cal

The purpose of testing this bullet was to try and find a bullet that would perform similar to the 85gr HH in the .264caliber but be a duplicate in my 30 cal rifles. Velocity was certainly not a problem. The 103 PHs achieved a velocity of well over 4200 in my 30 Sherman Magnum (300PRC Imp).

My impression of the 103 PHs is that they would be better suited to a velocity somewhat lower than I was launching them. Something in the velocity range of a 308 would probably be much better. The bullet holds together and survives high velocity impacts. Penetration is fine even at hyper velocity. Let me be clear. I could not get this bullet to fail, even at insane velocity impacts. The bullets held together and did their job.

Autopsy results showed a very rapidly developed bubble, very violent and short in duration (at hyper velocity impacts). At extremely high impact velocities these pills are tough on meat. At impact velocities of 3600 (or above), the bullet upsets immediately upon impact just under the hide. On one deer, with a broadside shot, the first lobe of the lungs and the heart were shredded. The second (off side) lobe only had a bullet hole (from the shank) and petal damage. We are describing a total life span of the “bubble” at something like 8” or less. The shank did penetrate and exit.

On another deer, shot at 115 yds, slightly quartering away, the bullet impacted just behind the shoulder. Upon impact, 3 ribs were broken and there was a hole about 1 ½” in diameter on the near side. There was “blow back” on the near side, with lung tissue coming back (hanging) out the entry hole. There was also significant blood-shotting and meat damage to the near shoulder. The shank penetrated fully and left about a 1/2” diameter exit hole.

Another deer, shot facing away at a very hard quartering away angle (shot through the paunch), had the bullet travel through the paunch and penetrate 17”. The shank was recovered under the hide in the off-side front shoulder. The paunch absorbed the entire ”bubble” energy. I am learning that the paunch is like a huge shock absorber. An animal shot well behind the last rib angling forward (or the infamous Texas Heart Shot) will severely test the penetration capability of a bullet. The paunch absorbed all of the violence and destruction of the “bubble” and the bullet carried on going forward. The liver and lungs were only slightly affected/damaged. The shank cut a gash in the heart. The diaphram was not ruptured (only had a bullet hole through it). The deer ran in excess of 100 yds before expiring. The recovered shank weighed 46.4 grs (or 45%).

My impression is that lower (more normal) impact velocities would probably be a much better route. The 103PHs hold up well and the shanks penetrate well, even at hyper velocity impacts. However, they do a lot of tissue damage at high impact speeds (unlike most Hammers). Perhaps a more normal impact velocity would allow a better, wider, longer and more efficient bubble. Can’t wait to hear results from you who shoot these in a 308 or 30-06.

120gr Lever Hammer .30 cal

This was another test looking for a 30 cal bullet that would perform as well as the 85gr HH in my .264 rifle. Achieving high velocity was again not a problem with this bullet. It also shot and grouped extremely well at 4005 fps.

Since this bullet was designed to be shot in a rifle with a tubular magazine (think 30/30), the nose is rather blunt and the walls of the hollow point are thicker than is normal for most Hammer Bullets.

To be sure, these bullets penetrate very well! If you are hunting a medium to large game animal, these bullets should serve you very well. In my case, our deer are rather smallish. A mature doe averages about 80lbs. A buck typically weighs around 135 or so. What that means for me is that the bullets penetrated too well for our little deer. On a broadside or light quartering shot, the bullet would pass through the first lung lobe and maybe the heart before upsetting and forming a good “bubble.” The second lung lobe would be absolutely shredded. The petals in this bullet are larger and have good weight/authority. The petals typically follow the shank through the chest and create a ”buckshot” pattern on the far wall of the rib cage. Petals typically penetrate and leave holes about 22cal in size. It is not uncommon for 2 or more petals to penetrate fully and exit.

To try to manipulate the speed of the bullet opening, I intentionally gave the bullet more resistance than just ribs or tissue. One deer was shot directly through the shoulder to see how the bullet would react. The result was a very good “bubble”, a bang-flop and full penetration. Both lung lobes were shredded as was the heart. Meat damage was minimal, just like Hammers should be.

I decided to do some ”tinkering” in the name of science. Since the walls of the hollow point on the Lever Hammer are thicker by design (for safety and a more blunt nose for tubular magazines), I wondered what would happen if I thinned the walls around the mouth of the HP and made it easier for the HP to open. I chamferred the mouth of the HP and slightly enlarged the HP opening, only at the tip. Bullet weight went from 120 to about 119 average. On a broadside and two slight quartering shots, the results were two bang-flops and a short run. Tissue damage and the “bubble” were affected positively (bullet opened sooner).

I shared the test results with Steve and Brian.

It is unlikely that the 120 LH nose will be modified at this point due to safety concerns with lever guns and tubular magazines. They tried a tapered HP hole previously in another prototype, but could not find a drill bit that would work consistently or without breaking. Their prior tests are what gave me the idea.

If I shoot the 120s in the future, I will likely modify the HP as described for our smallish deer.

124gr 30 cal Hammer Hunter

This bullet has been tested by several and has a proven track record for performance.

Now can I go back to my “zoomies”!!!!?

Warmest regards to all.

gltaylor
Global Moderator
Discosteve
Please write up your results and share. Also, if you can, test the 103PH at "sane" velocities and report results😋

discosteve
Thanks GL, that is an awesome write up and lots of work went into that. I have a whitetail hunt coming up in a few weeks, I might have to try the 120 LH at more "sane" velocities out of my 308!

gltaylor
Global Moderator
GL

Not all trophies have antlers.

View Attachment

Let me know when you pull the trigger. I can get your trophy mounted for you.

I love this place

Joe

Very good point joe16.
I am an old duck hunter and have several old solid wood Remington decoys from my daddy. I also have several papier-mache decoys like the one in the picture. In fact, that's what I started out with as a kid. Since then, I started carving my own hunting blocks. Quit years ago cause my hands no longer work well either. I've got a few hundred cork bodied/wood head and keel decoys in the barn. My kids could care less, but they're all trophies to me.(😇 gotcha!)

riceman
Global Moderator
🤣😂🤣😂

joe16
Platinum Member
GL

Not all trophies have antlers.
IqghWTgQdggtWQGkcGPx.png

Let me know when you pull the trigger. I can get your trophy mounted for you.

I love this place

Joe

joe16
Platinum Member
GL

Time and time again George you never cease to surprise us, thank you for your time sir your a scholar and a gentleman!!!

Les Fartleg😂😅🤣 oh my God you hit the nail on the head!!

You are the man George!

les
You guys never quit, huh?!?
Actually, I'm now convinced a shot from the left side, through the paunch,from a very hard rear angle is probably tougher on the bullet than the THS.
So there....
GL If you finally do it, you can change your name to Fart Leg! :cool: Where I live, we call it "The Texas Heart Shot." Hey, thanks for the great information. I'll be taking two guns and I might shoot my deer with the 85 grain .264. Getting excited. Your write up settled my choice between the 92 grain and the 85 grain.

farleg
Platinum Member
Actually, I'm now convinced a shot from the left side, through the paunch,from a very hard rear angle is probably tougher on the bullet than the THS.
So there....
Gday GL
well only one way to find out 🤣🤣🤣
cheers

gltaylor
Global Moderator
So there...

farleg
Platinum Member
Great testing and write up! Thanks

If you go back to those zoomies, you know there is still one shot you haven't made yet!😁😇
Gday riceman
I’ll second that 😎😇

mmmm come on joe I’m sure you will get a mumble out of GL 🤣🤪
cheers

Back