Hammer Bullet Trap Round 1: Speed -vs- Punch

Ed,
can you give us a shank weight of each to compare sand vs clay.
Sand should be less(more abrasive)
Yes thats one of my main goals is to capture the shank. But I’m also curious how quickly the petals will open up, and spread apart. Assuming I recover them and the shank doesn’t blow through the sand. Shooting at 100 yards so hopefully that’s enough distance to trap the bullet.

17 out penetrates the 30 cal!

I predict you won't have 10 lbs of clay when you're done.
I have it contained in a duct tape box with about 1/4” of area for the clay to wiggle. Hopefully the duct tape box will keep it contained.

I hope to be able to reform the clay back into its square mold and keep shooting it. May be a big ask . Testing my hardest hitting and fastest bullet at 100 yards to find out. If it survives tomorrow. I’ll be able to repeat bullet trap with all Hammer Bullets.

Love the test Ed. I’ll predict you’re going to blow the lids out. You may caught a shank as long as you’re very squared up and level with your box. Slightly off on the angle your shank will go out the top or bottom. Im not familiar with the 17 cal pill but the 30 cal has a relatively deep hp. It’s likely to dump enough energy up front to potentially caught that shank as long as the box doesn’t come completely apart.

I can eat my crow with Farleg in a few weeks if you prove me wrong! 😎 Good luck

Kneedeep

Never used the clay medium. This should be a very graphic image of the "bubble" if the block/box survives impact.
How tall (square) is the block of clay?
I imagine a centered impact will be crucial to results also.
Sand stops and grossly deforms shanks very quickly🫣 - at least in my limited testing?
Edit to add: curious what the best way is to slice the clay. You may have come up with a wonderful alternative to testing/evaluating bullets!
Staying tuned on this one! Thanks Ed!

Last edited:
Back