Hammer Hunter 92 grain HH in 25.06ai

7stw

Guys. I'd like to share a story, that I actually put in my Welcome page, that absolutely made a believer out of me.
Rifle was a Remington Sendero, originally a 25.06, reamed to AI. Load was 62 grains of 7828ssc, 92 hh, seated and crimped to the top groove.
So, last day of the regular Rifle season, last ten minutes. I was hunting a large field, from a shooting bench, mind you, and five breeder does came out of the hedgerow, 270 yards to my hard left. I lined up on the biggest doe, as she advanced, squeezed, and fired. On impact, she leaped in the air six ft, and I could see her belly. She ht the ground, got up, ran back into the hedgerow. I walked down to where she stood. Looked through the trees, saw her laying not 30 yards from where she was hit. Then I caught site if another, blob in the field, about another 30 yards away from her, but parallel. I suddenly realized that I had inadvertently shot and killed two.
This is where it gets interesting. When the deer were cleaned and examined, the first deers chest cavity was soup, and the petals had done their damage for sure.
But the only thing that hit the #2 deer was the shank. Complete penetration, through the heart, and clipped both lungs, or at least one, and the shank, balled up in the skin, out side of the far side ribcage.
I'm gonna attempt to attach a pic.
This was my selling point to Hammer Bullets.
I called Butterbean immediately. He was ecstatic.

Attachments

• 17052745666425393505692630596459.jpg
    17052745666425393505692630596459.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 1705274627904483740941320308474.jpg
    1705274627904483740941320308474.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
Im currently getting a custom 25-06ai 7 twist built, cant wait to get it back and see what velocities I get with a few Hammers. Cool story, kinda like buying steaks at the store buy one get on free except you had to hunt for it... :p

Im currently getting a custom 25-06ai 7 twist built, cant wait to get it back and see what velocities I get with a few Hammers. Cool story, kinda like buying steaks at the store buy one get on free except you had to hunt for it... :p
Wow. Thats a tight twist. Sometimes too tight a twist limits velocity, because of barrel time, and pressure. You'll love the cartridge
It's stepping very close to 257WB.
Making the brass is no big deal.
Enjoy!

The damage from the the petals alone was devastating in the first ones cavity. Like a grenade went off, once inside, but not a lot of meat damage.
What was equally amazing was #2 only got the shank, and was dead in the same distance ..
Speed kills.

Gday .7
Yes speed definitely kills & I like that pill as used it in a bee & preformed well

Here’s a little to tick on

It’s not only speed but it helps

We have found that a pill can start out 300 fps quicker @ impact yet due to the pill being unbalanced the wound channel is way less than a balanced pill

A few lightbulb moments went off when the hammerboys saw this especially last year
Brian’s first scrubbie was a look I won’t forget or Steve’s look when I told him his pill was $hit 🤣

Cheers

Wow. Thats a tight twist. Sometimes too tight a twist limits velocity, because of barrel time, and pressure. You'll love the cartridge
It's stepping very close to 257WB.
Making the brass is no big deal.
Enjoy!
I picked 7 to run the heavier bullets, originally the 128HH but since then Hammer released the 127HHT so I will probably go with that one. I plan to test the 117AH to see what velocities I can get. Not certain how light of a bullet I can go with a fast twist but Im ok if there is a limit.

Depending on intended bullet weight. The 10 twist handle most. Splitting the difference, somewhat, I would think a 9 twist would be a plenty. That will stabilize most of the large for caliber bullets. Mono bullets need a little more.

Depending on intended bullet weight. The 10 twist handle most. Splitting the difference, somewhat, I would think a 9 twist would be a plenty. That will stabilize most of the large for caliber bullets. Mono bullets need a little more.
My old factory barrel was a 10 twist, I could shoot up to 120gn cup and cores but switching to monos that wont work because 120gn monos need around an 8 twist. I decided if I was going to rebarrel custom might as well go all the way to shoot heavier hammers, you can get away with a faster twist but Im not certain about a slower twist. The rifle was my only big game rifle for around 30 years and Ive hunted everything with it from pronhorn to elk so my influence was to lean on the heavier side when I re-barreled (it needed it). So here I am, my smith is almost finished with it.

Back