Help...whats going on here? (Primer Dimple)

Ought 6

Hammer Time Executive member
Look at the pic, I am getting back pressure for some reason right? I fired six shots two different loads and all 6 primers looked the same. 200gr pill from the .35 Whelen, three were a fairly light load (2670 fps) and three fairly heavy (2850fps). Never seen this before, no other pressure signs.

This was new R-P brass, l have three 35 Whelen rifles but looking back through my notes I think this is the first time I have shot new R-P brass in this rifle so maybe this will fix itself on round two if I only resize the necks?? Also this was the first time I've shot this rifle since I cleaned the barrel. Don't know why that would matter but something changed.

20240323_135534.jpg

Could easily be heavy spring on firing pin, the rest of that primer is Not showing evidence of pressure as it is very rounded and not flat. Carry on, have no fear! 😉

I would venture to guess you have a 700 Remington that is parkerized. That looks a bit like this.
The rifle is my CVA Scout take down. My other 35 Whelens are a Winchester mod 70 and a Ruger M77 African. One Whelen gets to go on my next trip to Africa and I am really leaning towards the CVA. It groups as well as the other two. I can reload almost as fast as I can with the bolt guns. I have ordered a Boyd stock for it and put glass on it that cost twice as much as the rifle. I really like the idea of being able able to travel without a 4 ft hard case!

Hmmm, well I was all wrong on the 700, but I still think it's a sloppy hole for the firing pin.
Has this done this for awhile or first time?

Took the CVA out again today.......click no bang three times in a row! Light primer strikes. So I retract all the nice stuff I said about this rifle. I'll get it checked out and fixed but no chance it will get to travel with me no confidence in it at this point. I'll stick with my Winchesters and Rugers!

Back