Hunting a Buck Named Burger

OutdoorEdventure

Staff member
93C3B829-6133-43AE-8DAF-9332058A09C6.jpeg
IMG_2079.jpeg
Nick scouted this buck he named “Burger” over the summer, but had no idea if he could track him down during hunting season.
He saw over a hundred deer in two days. Nick glassed two choke points in the cliffs he’s used for years. He saw a few does and 3 coyotes. At about 9:30 knowing the wind/thermals would be shifting soon he headed toward the funnels keeping the wind in his face, and walked the shadows of the cliffs.
I’ll let Nick finish the story, “As I snuck around the edge two does appeared out of the bushes on the other side of the 40 yard wide shoot. They didn't see me, so I knelt as quickly as I could behind a sage brush. I glanced up the trail I was on just in time to see a doe round the corner of the basalt 20 yards from me. She instantly spotted me and froze. She bolted back up the trail to my left, but to my shock the 2 other does just trotted down the trail to my right unable to see what caused her to bust.

Another doe emerged from the bushes and then a smaller 3 point at a trot. Then “Burger” emerged and locked eyes with me.

I couldn't believe he spotted me. He was at about 40 yards and I could see his muscles ripple. I couldn't see all of his antlers, but could see his front forks. I knew he was mature and that was enough. I could imagine the top of his heart and raised my rifle. I squeezed the trigger and placed a Hammer right between the atria of his heart. He dropped
.”
Nick was shooting a Tikka T3x Wideland Veil 6.5CM, and the 124 gr Hammer Hunter bullet.
Congratulations on a great hunt. Awesome patience. Sometimes things come together when you put in the time.

Nice!!! Congratulations Nick! I love the stories. It brings back memories too. In the 1980's when I lived in John Day, Oregon there was a buck named "Geronimo." He could be seen often on the bluffs to the north between John Day and Prairie City. He was a show-off, but always disappeared during hunting season. He was a majestic mule deer. After the 2nd year of him showing off, Fred told the guys at the coffee shop that he was going to hunt him. For two years he got close. The third year, he came in one morning with a big smile on his face in the middle of deer season. He said, "I got him." We all said really lets see the horns. He smiled even bigger. He said, "I had him at 40 yards in the cross hairs, and I ended up just saying, 'Bang!' I just kept thinking of all the wonderful bucks he would produce and couldn't take him out of the gene pool." Sure enough about 6 weeks after the season I was driving to Prairie City and I saw him with 8 does out in a rancher's field sharing those wonderful genes.

So not only are the stories wonderful in and of themselves, for us older farts they bring back good memories.

John Day used to be one of the Mecca's for mule deer hunters.

Only passed through there to hunt coyotes, and rat by Burns.

Nice!!! Congratulations Nick! I love the stories. It brings back memories too. In the 1980's when I lived in John Day, Oregon there was a buck named "Geronimo." He could be seen often on the bluffs to the north between John Day and Prairie City. He was a show-off, but always disappeared during hunting season. He was a majestic mule deer. After the 2nd year of him showing off, Fred told the guys at the coffee shop that he was going to hunt him. For two years he got close. The third year, he came in one morning with a big smile on his face in the middle of deer season. He said, "I got him." We all said really lets see the horns. He smiled even bigger. He said, "I had him at 40 yards in the cross hairs, and I ended up just saying, 'Bang!' I just kept thinking of all the wonderful bucks he would produce and couldn't take him out of the gene pool." Sure enough about 6 weeks after the season I was driving to Prairie City and I saw him with 8 does out in a rancher's field sharing those wonderful genes.

So not only are the stories wonderful in and of themselves, for us older farts they bring back good memories.

Gday Les
That’s what it is all about 👍😍😇
Great memories & thanks for sharing

Congrats to nick also

Cheers

Back