If pass-throughs on big game are common/desired with Hammer Hunters of most calibers….

Great thread, and a lot of good info here already.

I'm goona attempt a translation here, @Farleg if you don't mind. I haven't tried this before publicly, so please let me know if I'm off base, or missed anything 😉

Along with greats like Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor the ages old "Pumpkin Roller" vs "Superzapper" debate is now dead.

Hammers have ushered in a new era;

-light and fast works (threshold unlimited)

-heavy and slow works (down to 1700 or 1800fps)

These projectiles are becoming so refined that they function across a wider range of velocities and target resistances than we have ever seen!

The era of the balanced pill is upon us, and like it or not, it's time to clear our minds of what we *thought* we once knew...

Great thread, and a lot of good info here already.

I'm goona attempt a translation here, @Farleg if you don't mind. I haven't tried this before publicly, so please let me know if I'm off base, or missed anything 😉

Along with greats like Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor the ages old "Pumpkin Roller" vs "Superzapper" debate is now dead.

Hammers have ushered in a new era;

-light and fast works (threshold unlimited)

-heavy and slow works (down to 1700 or 1800fps)

These projectiles are becoming so refined that they function across a wider range of velocities and target resistances than we have ever seen!

The era of the balanced pill is upon us, and like it or not, it's time to clear our minds of what we *thought* we once knew...
Sweet post, Homie! :love:

Thanks to all for your attempts at decrypting what I thought I meant?
Well explained by all.
The Link from Muddyboots especially clarified my question/misunderstanding/ignorance.
I’m starting to get “it” now.

Last edited:
Well explained by all.
The Link from Muddyboots especially clarified my question/misunderstanding/ignorance.
Gday Airedale
We have had a lot of practice @ decrypting as plenty of interpreters on both sides of the ditch 😜 & we just keep plugging along & someone will give that individual the information that clicks with them & glad to see muddy got the information for you

There is no misunderstanding/ ignorance it’s just part of the journey

So keep those questions coming

Cheers

It is all about the Triangle and the Bubble! Being color blind, I have never depended on a blood trail. I don't realize my disability until I am tracking with a "normal" person and they can obviously see that drop of blood on a leaf that totally disappears to me! That is why I like a good Bang - Flop! In my understanding, seeing blood pressure readings everyday in the Hospital, a really good shot drops the blood pressure of the animal quickly. So, if you think it through, if you have a really good blood trail that critter still has enough blood pressure to be pumping the blood out of one or two holes. Destroy the heart or lungs, and that critter isn't going much more than 20 or 30 yards. I prefer two holes. I like the blunt shank formed by the Hammer Bullets shedding pedals.

Last but not least, I think it is about taking ethical shots. I've passed up hundreds of shots over my hunting career, because the angle was wrong, or there was no way to reasonably get to the animal, or it was just too far away. To be frank, I question the distance that some people claim that they shot their critters at. Three hundred - four hundred - and five hundred yards is a very long distance. After 500 yards so many variables come into play. I shot my first deer at 10 years old, so in 61 years of hunting, I have taken 2 animals between 500 and 600 yards and 4 animals at 400-500 yards. Maybe hunting styles have changed and I am old school. My last nice mule deer buck was spotted bedded down at just over 500 yards. I surveyed the terrain and spent 45 minutes working my way toward the deer and dropped him at 180 yards. Yep, I could have dialed in where I spotted him, but with the wind going up the draw between us, I had no way of figuring the proper wind-drift. Several times during my hunting career, I have put the sneak on, and ended up discovering a much nicer animal than the one I was after. To each their own style, but I much prefer to get under 300 yards, and will always weigh the risk of putting on a good sneak vs all the things that can go wrong at long range.

It is all about the Triangle and the Bubble! Being color blind, I have never depended on a blood trail. I don't realize my disability until I am tracking with a "normal" person and they can obviously see that drop of blood on a leaf that totally disappears to me! That is why I like a good Bang - Flop! In my understanding, seeing blood pressure readings everyday in the Hospital, a really good shot drops the blood pressure of the animal quickly. So, if you think it through, if you have a really good blood trail that critter still has enough blood pressure to be pumping the blood out of one or two holes. Destroy the heart or lungs, and that critter isn't going much more than 20 or 30 yards. I prefer two holes. I like the blunt shank formed by the Hammer Bullets shedding pedals.
So no triage with red and green cards to separate expectant vs treatable? :ROFLMAO:
Last but not least, I think it is about taking ethical shots. I've passed up hundreds of shots over my hunting career, because the angle was wrong, or there was no way to reasonably get to the animal, or it was just too far away.
Deer hunting anyway, I remind myself & others, "Calm Clean Shots"! If that animal is meant to be yours, it will present itself for a clean shot. Think through the moment, don't feel through the moment. After the trigger is pressed and the animal is down, feel free to let the emotions take over. (Hogs a different set of instructions, lol)
To be frank, I question the distance that some people claim that they shot their critters at. Three hundred - four hundred - and five hundred yards is a very long distance.
Yes it is!
After 500 yards so many variables come into play. I shot my first deer at 10 years old, so in 61 years of hunting, I have taken 2 animals between 500 and 600 yards and 4 animals at 400-500 yards. Maybe hunting styles have changed and I am old school. My last nice mule deer buck was spotted bedded down at just over 500 yards. I surveyed the terrain and spent 45 minutes working my way toward the deer and dropped him at 180 yards. Yep, I could have dialed in where I spotted him, but with the wind going up the draw between us, I had no way of figuring the proper wind-drift. Several times during my hunting career, I have put the sneak on, and ended up discovering a much nicer animal than the one I was after. To each their own style, but I much prefer to get under 300 yards, and will always weigh the risk of putting on a good sneak vs all the things that can go wrong at long range.
You are describing hunting vs shooting at animals!

(I do speak fluent Okie and broken Texan on occasion.)
I grew up in an Okie, Arkie, Texan family.

;):rolleyes:

Well explained by all.
One of the first recommendations new Hammer shooters should receive is leave what you believe with cup and core at door, you are entering a whole new realm of mono bullets. Hammers in most cases jump is whatever you want it seems, I have jumps over 0.300 and shoot well under MOA. Not a typo. Powder selection becomes almost entertaining once you start getting the "feel' of your rifle (cartridge), bullet and bullet weight. Knowledge of pressure is mandatory and is a learning experience for ALL of us and we are still learning. Read your rifle and let it tell you what it wants and at what speed. No rifles are alike. I have never had so much fun developing loads as I do with Hammers. When you build ladders, its like "a box of chocolates", you don't know what you are getting until you get into it. Then its hmmm, maybe THAT powder will be better and then off to the races. There is a TON of info posted in the Reloading section that will truly help anyone. Heck, I still refer back to it. Then one day you smack an animal and when you walk up to it and see the results even before field dressing it becomes "Oh my" moment. You will then start to read @Farleg and say "heck yeah" without a translator! ;-)

One of the first recommendations new Hammer shooters should receive is leave what you believe with cup and core at door, you are entering a whole new realm of mono bullets. Hammers in most cases jump is whatever you want it seems, I have jumps over 0.300 and shoot well under MOA. Not a typo. Powder selection becomes almost entertaining once you start getting the "feel' of your rifle (cartridge), bullet and bullet weight. Knowledge of pressure is mandatory and is a learning experience for ALL of us and we are still learning. Read your rifle and let it tell you what it wants and at what speed. No rifles are alike. I have never had so much fun developing loads as I do with Hammers. When you build ladders, its like "a box of chocolates", you don't know what you are getting until you get into it. Then its hmmm, maybe THAT powder will be better and then off to the races. There is a TON of info posted in the Reloading section that will truly help anyone. Heck, I still refer back to it. Then one day you smack an animal and when you walk up to it and see the results even before field dressing it becomes "Oh my" moment. You will then start to read @Farleg and say "heck yeah" without a translator! ;-)
This is the most important part !!!!!

Great explanation Muddyboots…

I grew up reading The Book of Elmer, Elmer Keith. I didn’t put much stock in Jack O’Connor. Who wants to shoot sheep when you can cowboy up and chase elk, bears, eagles, mule deer, etc…. and all of them with a revolver! Wahoo, count me in!

So now, trying to understand Hammers, I was behind the curve.
We didn’t grow up with Parabolic Drag Reduction grooves, we had Wasp-Waisted bullets; cup and core jacketed, partitioned, half-jacketed, cast plain base, cast gas-check, swaged lead, knurled lead, must I go on?… (back of hand to forehead) I feel faint…

Cutting/machining grooves decreases bullet bearing surface which reduces bore contact of the bullet which reduces drag and therefore pressure sounds like a mathematical equation to describe how Hammer bullets work.

I struggled with math while growing up. But I’m getting it better now.

For the uninitiated, not-born-yet folks, yes Herter’s had a “Wasp-Waist bullet.

IMG_8670.jpeg

Last edited:
Back