Leupold MK4HD New 2024 Line

BFD

Hammer Time Executive member
So, I was just bragging how much I like the VX5-6HD lines. Up till now Leupold treated FFP mil reticles like they were a super premium, but now they did a smart move and come out with FFP MIL in the MK4HD for half the price of a MK5HD!
The 4-18X52 and 6-24X52 are the same dimensions, weight, and roughly same price. A 52mm objective handles 18X very good, I would hope Leup figured out a working 24X in 52mm too. If the VX5HD line is any measure. The 3-15X44 handles 15X without darkening of the sight pic, so hopeful about the 24X:

Saw that Midway is starting to get them in stock. Haven’t checked Leupold’s website/VIP program yet.
I likely won’t be the first to test the Mark 4. (Although I can recommend a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite w/ Tandem Kross trigger, fwiw. What a joy!)
Would be interested to hear/read thoughts of anyone who does give it a try.

Leupold says this scope is an entry level long range scope, kinda strange they would word it that way, if your trying to sell a lot of scopes!
They will though. The bumkin masses love to hear "CHEAP SCOPE, BUDGET SCOPE, ARKEN OPTICS AS GOOD AS NIGHTFORCE". So, Leupold was smart in marketing in this regard.

I have a question. And I know it will stir the pot and cause boiling water to come down on my head. Oh well. 🫣. Back about a year ago, I was in search of a solid optic. Its purpose was to be on my primary hunting rifle for use out west in the mountains. I do my best to take care of my stuff, but in western hunting, accidents happen. You trip, you fall, etc. I wanted a scope that could handle a tumble down a hill if things went south, and stay zeroed. I did a bunch of research. It appears that Leupold has been have quality issues for awhile. It seems that they don’t make a truly rugged scope. If you research, you’ll find increased reports of poor turret tracking, failure to hold zero, etc. I understand most guys here aren’t abusing their optics, but I didn’t consider Leupold very long when I started researching. Talk to smaller optics dealers, they seem to agree that Leupold is not what it once was. I realize that for most guys, a Leupold works just fine. But I wanted something that I could always count on, so I went with Nightforce. Thoughts?

Burn the witch!!!

I kid, of course.

No experience with Nightforce, but their reputation is unmatched. Don’t think anyone will say “you done screwed up.”
Pleased with the Leupolds I have, but I don’t subject them to the potential abuse of Western hunting.
Also happy with the Tract Toric. A FFP model is atop the list to outfit the longer range paper plinker once I can stomach the expense.

I know a lot of the issues you mentioned were had with the scopes previous to the VX5HD-VX6HD lines. I have had nothing but great performance out of the 5HD-6HD scope line. Sample of 5 scopes all holding zero and tracking. I havent abused them much though, so I can't say how well they'll hold up to a significant punishment incident. If they don't hold up, I do know Leupold warranty and CS are top notch.

I have a question. And I know it will stir the pot and cause boiling water to come down on my head. Oh well. 🫣. Back about a year ago, I was in search of a solid optic. Its purpose was to be on my primary hunting rifle for use out west in the mountains. I do my best to take care of my stuff, but in western hunting, accidents happen. You trip, you fall, etc. I wanted a scope that could handle a tumble down a hill if things went south, and stay zeroed. I did a bunch of research. It appears that Leupold has been have quality issues for awhile. It seems that they don’t make a truly rugged scope. If you research, you’ll find increased reports of poor turret tracking, failure to hold zero, etc. I understand most guys here aren’t abusing their optics, but I didn’t consider Leupold very long when I started researching. Talk to smaller optics dealers, they seem to agree that Leupold is not what it once was. I realize that for most guys, a Leupold works just fine. But I wanted something that I could always count on, so I went with Nightforce. Thoughts?
I personally have a frustrating history with Leupold scopes starting with VX3 up to a couple VX5HD. Bumps cause a shift in zero, accidental drops causing windage to be off 12" @ 100, weird group movement when doing a couple of clicks for zeroing, and returning to zero when dialing. Not every scope every time, but often enough to make me question them.

2 Meopta Optika6 have been solid for me so far. I have a Trijicon Credo on order that is supposed to be even more rugged than the Optika6s.

Just my $0.02.....YMMV....

I know what we all think of Rokslide, but Form has been testing scopes for ruggedness. All Leupold have failed (he’s tested at least 2 Mark 5 HD’s) and most other scopes. It’s extreme, I get it, but the ones to pass are NF, SWFA, Trijicon, and the new Maven RS1.2.

I guess my frustration is that I want to like Leupold. They’re an American optics icon. But too many have failed under abuse for me to trust them to it. I’ve almost completely stopped hunting my local state because I got tired of sitting in a tree stand. So I’m hunting Montana mainly. That being said, $800 in a buck tag, approx $1200 in a bull elk tag, and the expense to take the trip, I’m not running an optic that I hope will be zeroed after I have an accident. The NF I know I can trust. Let’s me hunt and do my thing with peace of mind.

I realize that for most guys, a Leupold works just fine. But I wanted something that I could always count on, so I went with Nightforce. Thoughts?

This is a tricky discussion to have in a leupold thread 🤣

I pay a weight penalty and use optically inferior glass too, as my experience has shown there to be tradeoffs...

I think you have to be a real glass snob to say an NX8 isn’t optically good lol.

It’s like NF said while being interviewed on a podcast by Exo Mountain Gear, “if you’re cutting weight, you’re sacrificing somewhere”

I guess my frustration is that I want to like Leupold. They’re an American optics icon. But too many have failed under abuse for me to trust them to it. I’ve almost completely stopped hunting my local state because I got tired of sitting in a tree stand. So I’m hunting Montana mainly. That being said, $800 in a buck tag, approx $1200 in a bull elk tag, and the expense to take the trip, I’m not running an optic that I hope will be zeroed after I have an accident. The NF I know I can trust. Let’s me hunt and do my thing with peace of mind.
NF and Trijicon are the only ones that are HARD to find negative reviews on.

I think you have to be a real glass snob to say an NX8 isn’t optically good lol.

It’s like NF said while being interviewed on a podcast by Exo Mountain Gear, “if you’re cutting weight, you’re sacrificing somewhere”

Yeah. In your wallet.

Back