New Member From IL Loading 45-70 and 350 Legend

Dobeman298

Just received my first order from Hammer Bullets and excited to try these out. I have never used 250gr bullets with my 45-70, so curious to see how these group. Want to try solid coppers to see if I can get more penetration/expansion/complete pass through. My FTX bullets that I have used for a number of years have been very accurate out of a number of 350 Legend rifles, as well as my Henry 45-70, but after a couple of bigger bucks were shot the past couple years with no blood trail at all, I am going to give some other bullets a shot. In addition to Hammers I have reloaded some Barnes for each rifle, as well as some Lehigh as well. I will frequently be on here looking for load info and success stories from those of you who have been using Hammer bullets.

Welcome from Central Florida, speed kills.

Sorry I have no help for your 350.

I'm sort of a 45-70 nut myself. I shoot the same bullet. The go fast powder for that combination is AA 1680. You can find that in the Barnes manual.

💥🚀🔨☠️

Welcome and if you have issues with 350 I can jump in.
Any load info would be great- I have Lil Gun and H110 for 350 loads. I have been reading articles hear about reloading the 350 Legend. There seems to be somewhat of a debate on whether to taper crimp or to not crimp at all. These rounds would be fired from a CVA single shot and a Franchi Momentum with a box magazine. Thanks for any info.

Welcome from Central Florida, speed kills.

Sorry I have no help for your 350.

I'm sort of a 45-70 nut myself. I shoot the same bullet. The go fast powder for that combination is AA 1680. You can find that in the Barnes manual.

💥🚀🔨☠️
I have a bit over a pound of 1680 so I will load a few with that.

Crimp probably not necessary for bolt gun though some swear by them for all Hammer Bullet loads. I’m 50/50 with my bolt guns but crimp all gas guns.

Back