New Savage 110 barrel is a tomato stake

Mountainman

Hammer Time Executive member
Friend of mine dropped off a new Savage 110 in 300 WSM for me to work up a load. I kept having pressure issues and nothing to really make me proud in the accuracy department. After giving it a quick cleaning yesterday I decided to run my bore scope through it. I've never seen anything this bad. I told him to send these pictures to Savage and tell them he wants a new barrel.

savage bore.JPGsavage bore2.JPG

That's a Savage barrel!
Those concentric rings and spacings are present in all Savage barrels I've looked through and even a member of the Savage shooting team told me even their barrels are like that.
Surprisingly though, the majority of them shoot really good, even though they are copper mines!
I wonder what is up with this particular barrel, other than the usual rings, that is making it poo-poo.
I've seen threads where people have tried the warranty route with pretty unimpressive results by Savage to remedy the issues. Good luck to him!
Pappy, I recently took a 308 barrel off a precision rig to consolidate to 708, it is a laser beam! Could you rechamber it for him?

That's a Savage barrel!
Those concentric rings and spacings are present in all Savage barrels I've looked through and even a member of the Savage shooting team told me even their barrels are like that.
Surprisingly though, the majority of them shoot really good, even though they are copper mines!
I wonder what is up with this particular barrel, other than the usual rings, that is making it poo-poo.
I've seen threads where people have tried the warranty route with pretty unimpressive results by Savage to remedy the issues. Good luck to him!
Pappy, I recently took a 308 barrel off a precision rig to consolidate to 708, it is a laser beam! Could you rechamber it for him?

You're absolutely right about the copper mine reference :rolleyes:. I have not seen this before although admittedly I haven't looked through a Savage barrel in a very long time. If this is standard their shooting team is welcome to this one too.
I was hoping to get away without buying a 300 WSM reamer. He bought this rifle for his dad who does very little shooting, perhaps I can talk him into something else if we re-barrel. :unsure:

Regards
Pappy

I’ve never seen a savage barrel shoot well when it’s clean. Try running a few fouling shots through it before doing any serious load work.

What loads have you tried so far?

I’ve never seen a savage barrel shoot well when it’s clean. Try running a few fouling shots through it before doing any serious load work.

What loads have you tried so far?
I guess it would take a few rounds to fill all the grooves :confused:. I've been working only with the 137's so far trying to work up a fairly light recoil load for his dad. Bedded the action but groups are still unsatisfactory. Have a box of factory ammo, I'll make some more brass and see how it shoots dirty. Have some 124 and 154's loaded up to try after. Admittedly it doesn't have to be a tack driver as will not be used on anything further than a couple hundred yards max.

First, @Mountainman is one heck of a shooter as some of us know. Haha, we have been talking about this barrel and gotta say it's garbage. I don't expect to have to fire 50-60 rounds to "fill in" the tooling marks on any barrel. Nope, I don't care how it shoots then. So you clean barrel and gotta refoul barrel wasting ton of components? Ain't buying it.

I can't do it, I won't keep using this barrel. Not one of us would accept this from any of our popular barrel manufacturers, I see no reason to accept this from Savage. The barrel is coming off and will be sent back. I'll wager Savage would have a fit if the Proof Research barrels they install on their tactical and backcountry rifles had bores that looked like this. I have ordered a new Preferred barrel and will carry on from there. If they won't warranty this barrel so be it, they're a big company, I'm sure they can do without my business.

Can’t speak for the barrel as I haven’t looked at all my savage’s barrels. What I can say definitively is….. All my savages shoot great. Better than most other factory offerings. All sub 1 moa and most will consistently print 1/2 MOA, all be it with hand loaded ammo.

I can also tell you that savage has some of the best customer service out there. I has a stock come with a stripped out trigger guard screw hole. 3 days later the stock was at my door, no questions asked. They didn’t want the old stock back so I epoxied it and drilled a new hole, now I have a back up.

Hope you have as good a result as I have. I love my savages.

Back