Not Reloading?

OutdoorEdventure

Staff member
119CAF09-39D4-461C-B38E-B596F2C4DEFE.png
Updating our list of companies loading Hammer Bullets for ammunition in 2024. We’ve added North American Ammunition Company out of Michigan . If you are not reloading and want to try Hammers contact:

•Allterra Arms
•Aria Ballistic Engineering
•Buffalo Bore Am munition
•Evolved Munitions
•Gunwerks
•Hendershots
•MOA Rifles
•North American Ammunition Company
•Pendleton Ammunition
•Precision Reloading
•Snowy Mtn Rifles
•Superior Ammunition
•Unknown Munitions
•Weatherby

It's cool to see companies offering loaded ammo for those that don't reload. But, it is sad to see them following standard copper bullet procedures like they are loading Barnes or something. Quite a bit slower than the load data available on the Hammer forum or the Google Sheet on the Hammer store page.

It's cool to see companies offering loaded ammo for those that don't reload. But, it is sad to see them following standard copper bullet procedures like they are loading Barnes or something. Quite a bit slower than the load data available on the Hammer forum or the Google Sheet on the Hammer store page.
So much variation in barrels and chambers and components that it is difficult to produce top end ammunition without the rifle in hand. Several of these companies will do custom ammunition, where you send them the rifle and they will develop the load for your rifle. This is truly the best way to go about getting quality ammunition for your rifle.

Other thing is that most of us are likely running at the top or a bit higher than the cartridges we shoot are rated for, some are well informed and educated about how far things can go safely some are probably not so much. Ammo companies don’t and shouldn’t push things that far because they can’t control what rifles or weather conditions their ammunition will be fired in.

Good question. Next good question is how does the pressure generated in the pressure test barrel translate to other rifles?
If any of those companies that offer custom ammo for your rifle are also pressure testing, they should be able to provide some knowledge about that.

If any of those companies that offer custom ammo for your rifle are also pressure testing, they should be able to provide some knowledge about that.
I don't know if any do or not. Most likely not. The powder companies don't pressure test every load in their data set. I would guess that BIG ammunition manufactures do get test barrels for each cartridge that they load but might be a stretch too. I have been in, what I would call a medium size ammunition manufacturing facility, and they did not use pressure test barrels. They develop loads the same way that all of us do. By working it up.

The beautiful thing about Hammers (at least in my experience) is the velocities (also equates to pressure) really does not affect accuracy. My last 4-5 rifles have printed 1 to 1.5 MOA groups between 5-7 grains of powder. This usually equates to a 200-250 fps spread in my ladder tests. Point being....a company loading Hammers, can error on the side of 200 fps slower / well within acceptable pressure guidelines, and still produce a crazy accurate round. In most rounds this doesn't limit terminal performance within most hunters hunting ranges / scenarios.

This was also the case with most cup and core bullets. I could handload cup and core and get better velocities than most box ammo. Mass production ammo reloaders, will always error on the side of acceptable pressures. Handloaders can push the limits. Hammers will exceed because they are accurate across the spectrum.

Back