Opinions/experiance with 300 RUM hammer selection

Reemtyj

Hammer Time Executive member
Recently purchased a 700 rem 300 RUM LSS, was looking at shooting hammers and was thinking one of the following….124 HH, 154hht, 168hht, 180hht….. mainly a deer, black bear, elk load.I have numerous long range set ups so basically a 0-800 yard gun, mainly 0-600 yards. Just have read a lot on the various experiences, the 124 and 154 sound interesting, just would like opinions and what velocities and loads you are shooting. Please feel free to offer your experiences, thanks!

Surely there’s some loads posted here in the reloading section. Look for the hunter, absolute and hht load pages. Download the pdf and enjoy.

Recently purchased a 700 rem 300 RUM LSS, was looking at shooting hammers and was thinking one of the following….124 HH, 154hht, 168hht, 180hht….. mainly a deer, black bear, elk load.I have numerous long range set ups so basically a 0-800 yard gun, mainly 0-600 yards. Just have read a lot on the various experiences, the 124 and 154 sound interesting, just would like opinions and what velocities and loads you are shooting. Please feel free to offer your experiences, thanks!
I shoot the 300 RUM. Your list is missing the best bullet in my opinion and that is the 137HH. I'm using a healthy dose of H4350. I'm pushing it at right at 3750 fps. I'll be hunting deer with it this year. There are several articles in the reloading section on how to load Hammers. To get the most out of the Hammers and a RUM you will need to crimp. They are much different than regular cup and core bullets. I have an accurate load for the 124 at 4,200 fps. There are a lot of RUM shooters around here. I would suggest you look at the data base that is available. I would also suggest that you look at Nosler Data as a starting point. One of the nice things about the 300 RUM is you don't have to push it to the max to get plenty of velocity. I would highly suggest spending some time reading the forum.

Does you gun have a brake or is it suppressed? If not you are going to want to go with the lighter bullets. Farleg has done a lot of work with the 300 RUM. What is your barrel twist? That will make a difference too.

Last edited:
No brake yet, 1-10” twis. I have looked at the data base just want opinions also. What kind of groups? I never even thought of the 137, thank you!

137HH crimped and H4350 at 3830fps in my 26" x-bolt rum. 1/4 crimp in the 2nd PDR and still more than 0.070 jump. Factory radial brake and a dream to shoot. I didn't fool around much for accuracy sake. Loaded a 4 step ladder until I found pressure, backed off a grain and shot 3 round group at about 1.5 moa. Has done better since but in the first 10 or so rounds down the barrel it did all that and took 2 whitetail. Was good enough for 400yds and in. Dumps them without a twitch. Lungs only, no cns hits.

The 137 inside 500 yds is the finest 30 caliber bullet made, especially when it's smoking out of a rum.

If I was going to stretch it to 800, I would look at the 168hht or the next heavier hht.

The 124 deserves honorable mention. I just don't know if I would push it to five personally.

💥🚀🔨☠️

Under 500 with large deer (~200ibs), the 124 does great. On my smallish deer (80-140 lbs), they can be a bit much and rather destructive. This year my plan is the 137 in my big rifles and back to the 85 zoomie in my 6.5 max.
Doesn't look like I'll get my new rifle up & running this season. Wby keeps delaying shipment of my 307 receiver. Got all the other components here and waiting 😵

Ballistics calculator, predicted bc(yours may be different), no altitude corrections @ 3830, you still have plenty to take a whitetail at 750, but at that range a 10mph cross wind gets you almost 4ft of drift. 500yds and in, it will take most of north America! Like Joe said if majority will be outside of 500yds, the 163 or higher HHT is where I'd be looking.

Cbjr, thanks, deer dead right now? That is flying at 3830😳😳👍 sorry I see the “ dumps them without a twitch”
Last year I had 4 doe in a field at 180ish. Watched for awhile to see if any buck would follow. Dropped the one that looked the biggest. Happened so fast the other 3 went back to feeding like she was never there. Hated to chase them off to drag her out, but only had one tag.

No brake yet, 1-10” twis. I have looked at the data base just want opinions also. What kind of groups? I never even thought of the 137, thank you!
I'm getting less than half inch groups at a 100 yards if I do my part. That said, my gun has been worked on by a gunsmith and the action has been trued, and the stock bedded properly.

Gday reemytyj
The rum I love both types 😉& taken a few critters now with the rifle variety 😇

The advantage you have with hammers is lightweight or heavy it will do it’s job if we do ours

The advice above is sound & if you step on your rum 4k is potentially possible with the 137 & easily obtained with the 124

the 163 hht can be around the 3600 mark

Steve I think was around 3400 with the 199hh

Now for your ranges I’d look @ the most common impact range & base my choice off that as long as the pill is capable of getting to the longest range you would shoot a critter @

Breaking that down on all the different pills that are available in the different styles is something that’s evolving as we delve more into the hammer journey so once you decide on yours please add as it helps us all

My experience with a few rum rounds down the barrel’s I’ve had
Is we can use all of those pills above as a start & not worry about the problems the rum gave when choosing a pill overall before hence why dual loads were something that I used a fair bit of
So simply love the rum as I don’t have to think as much today

speed kills & the rums got that covered if your game to push it ( stay safe please) you will get hooked so be warned in advance as it’s contagious
Imo of course
Cheers

Back