Powder contamination

littlebighorn

Hammer Time Executive member
On a boring cold evening, here is a question for all you "experts" at handloading. (a group of which I can not be identified) 😏

At best I am a hack reloader even though I've been doing it for 50 years. My work space has never exceeded the size of a carnival cruise bathroom, and I'm not the tidiest gent on the planet. So at times I might have kernels of multiple different powders on my bench. Undoubtedly through a spill or mental laps a kernel or two of a different powder COULD find it's way into a load. (undoubtedly has at some point).
So my question is, how much can a kernel or two of contamination make a significant difference in my load? Obviously the more contamination the worse it gets but where do you suppose the tipping point is?
I'm sure there are lots of variables, but I'd love to hear your thoughts, especially you scientific chemical engineer reloading geeks.

I keep a few empty 1lb bottles marked "Pulled Varget, H4350" etc. and any powder I'm not sure of it's purity I put in those. Then, if I need to do any foulers, low pressure loads or practice loads I use this powder since I know it's well under any pressure concerns.
As long as you're under a few % and the powders you're loading aren't wildly different burn rates I don't think it's an issue. Just don't use any mixed powder in hot loads that are already on the edge of or show pressure signs.

Last edited:
littlebighorn

On a very warm humid evening. I send you a reply.😉

About 10-12 years ago I mistakenly created a pound and a half of Muzzleloader only powder. I was checking the difference between H4198 and IMR4198 and mistakenly poured my dispenser into the wrong CONTAINER 🥴 Since the burn rates were so close, I marked the container and have used it ever since for muzzleloader only you're not the only hack. I should have enough to last me.

Look up duplex loads. Not really the same but you might find it an interesting read.

Joe

Attachments

• 20230326_205047.jpg
    20230326_205047.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
littlebighorn

On a very warm humid evening. I send you a reply.😉

About 10-12 years ago I mistakenly created a pound and a half of Muzzleloader only powder. I was checking the difference between H4198 and IMR4198 and mistakenly poured my dispenser into the wrong CONTAINER 🥴 Since the burn rates were so close, I marked the container and have used it ever since for muzzleloader only you're not the only hack. I should have enough to last me.

Look up duplex loads. Not really the same but you might find it an interesting read.

Joe
That's precious Joe, but that's a bit more than a kernel or two of contamination? I guess my real question is will a kernel or two of a different powder make any significant difference?

Not sure how I'd get 1 or 2 kernels of contamination, or that it could make any difference.
I use an electronic powder dispenser. When you change powders, be sure to drain it, run it dry, then tip it down to make sure you have all the residual powder out of the dispensing tube.
When loading small cases like 22/250 or 243, if there are a few grains of prior powders leftover from prior loading, you can hear/feel a difference that reminds you you screwed up😳.

Not sure how I'd get 1 or 2 kernels of contamination, or that it could make any difference.
I use an electronic powder dispenser. When you change powders, be sure to drain it, run it dry, then tip it down to make sure you have all the residual powder out of the dispensing tube.
When loading small cases like 22/250 or 243, if there are a few grains of prior powders leftover from prior loading, you can hear/feel a difference that reminds you you screwed up😳.
Yep,
My electronic dispenser is what prompted this question in the first place, especially with ButterBean's favorite 6.5 StaBall! Tiny little grains seem to show up sometimes and I got wondering about it and anyone else's experience.
I really am pretty careful and I always try to clean thoroughly between powders. I most always tap the box and tube on the bench to be sure, but I've never run it dry. That's a good suggestion.

Same issue than powder dispensers (throwers) used for different powders. I have several large funnels on bench I used to invert the powder thrower, used the tapper to insure all powder is dislodged and drops into powder container. I keep bench clean of any kernels using an old plastic card for a warehouse entry. It "squeegees" small kernels nicely and you can direct where you want to put them. I just pull them off bench into a container that I toss contents into yard. Hope bomb dogs don't come by....

Still using Lee scoops and trickier… I’ve got a container of mixed spilled powders, about 1/8 lb so far. I marked it “future claymores”…😬🤘

I dont see how spilled powder granules can unintentionally get into a round?
If you spill a few granules of powder on a bench brush it off, its not worth saving.

I dont see how spilled powder granules can unintentionally get into a round?
If you spill a few granules of powder on a bench brush it off, its not worth saving.
Personally, I’ve spilled more than a few granules… twice now I forgot to move my funnel to the next case, dumped a second load of powder without realizing it, then moved my funnel, spilling about 40 grains on the table and case holder. After proving myself to be a careless idiot twice, I started seating bullets immediately after the powder pour. This caused lots more movement on my bench, so I later proceeded to knock my trickler over. I’m learning to be more careful the hard way. 🤦‍♂️

Ive spilled a full case before. I just start over and clean up at the end. I dont trust the workbench being clean, or the chance of other powder granules contaminating the spill... So i just toss it. It doesnt happen enough to worry about a single spill.

Ive often wondered what would happen if say I accidentally didnt clean out my trickler hopper properly. I dont think a different granule or two would be dangerouse but theres no way to know where the line is. Just gotta be on top of it best we can.

I load one at a time. I go straight from the scale to a press that I seat on. Then to the Hornady concentricity gauge/tool and then to my backup press for crimping. No fuss no muss, it does require an extra step though I agree.

Yeah I got tired of bumping the loading trays🥴

Back