Powder for 35 whelen

Hi everyone. I was wanting to load the 178 grain 358 cal bullets in a couple of 35 whelens I've built. What are the suggestions? Starting weight? I use h4895 on the 200 grain power hammer. When i load up 200 grain interlocks I use re15, 64 grains....but is pretty compressed. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks. The rifles will be used in iowa for deer. Maybe elk next year. Thinking the 200's would make a better elk load. Also has anyone used the 140 grainers in a 356 Winchester model 94 AE. Speeds? Powder? Starting point? Thanks again
John

Welcome from West Texas. It's been years and the last time I loaded for this cartridge was with 200 grain bullets and H4895. I doubt you can get enough of it in the case for a 178 (which by the way I would not hesitate to use on elk). I would look at N133, 8208xbr, H335 or even CFE-223. Also might be interesting to ty Leverevolution. It's only slightly faster than 4895 but it's a ball powder and you can get more in the case. PM me if you like and I can help you figure some starting loads.

I have not loaded for the 356 Winchester

Regards

I used 57.5gr Varget when I was loading 225gr TTSX for my Whelen, at 2540fps. When I loaded it with 200gr Power Hammers I thought I should try a faster powder so used 8208XBR. I settled on 57gr @2745fps. I probably should have tried Varget as well. This rifle has never shot as fast as I thought it should. The load is posted in the HH load data. I would think that R15 would be a good powder, being a little bit faster than Varget.

I'd like to get the mod 94 to shoot the 140's. Being its kind of obsolete I'd like to use it in iowa now that we can . I have about 200 factory rounds left for it. I've killed 1 elk in wy with it and 1 deer in iowa. Trying to stretch its legs...maybe use it on elk again

CIC

I have a thread in the rifle section titled 358 Winchester. This should give you some ideas of the powders that I used and the velocities that I was getting. Keep in mind it's in a model 7 with a 20 inch barrel.

Since you started your thread, I purchased a new Savage and built a 35 Whelen. I'm pushing the 178 with 69 grains of Tac velocity of approximately 3,200. 69 grains was too much pressure crimped in the top PDR band Valley. I extended the bullet out to where I crimp it in the Second Valley, pressure subsided and accuracy is MOA. I hope this helps I'm looking forward to your results.

Joe

Last edited:
I'm going to try this recipe....sounds flat shooting. I'm going black bear hunting this fall if i draw in Colorado and was hoping to use the 35 whelen. What distance would be to far...energy wise. Im driving right now

65 g would be a great place to start. Not sure if I can help you on the distances and energy. The animals I shoot in Georgia are far smaller than the ones you're gonna chase out west.

💥🚀🔨☠️

Joe

Back