REM 700 REMAGE BUILD

Jemurr3

IT HAS BEEN A WHILE SINCE I POSTED ANYTHING ON THIS I HAD A THREAD ON THE OLD FORUM. I WAS FINALLY ABLE TO FINNISH THIS LITTLE PROJECT UP A COUPLE WEEKS AGO.

REMINGTON 700 ACTION
MCGOWAN 20" BARREL CHAMBERED IN 260REM WITH SAVAGE STYLE LOCK NUT
BOTTOM METAL IS FACTORY DM
STOCK IS FACTORY VARMINT CONTOUR BDL STOCK I PICKED UP OFF EBAY THAT NEEDED REFINISHED
I SPRAYED ALL METAL RIFLE PARTS WITH SATIN BLACK DURA COAT
SCOPE IS A TASCO 3-9X50 THAT CAME WITH THE RIFLE

RIFLE COST $400 FROM LOCAL PAWN SHOP
BARREL $200
BOTTOM METAL AND MAG $100
STOCK $100
DURA COAT $75
HEADSPACE GAUGES $60
SAVAGE NUT WRENCH $70

I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO SHOOT IT YET IT CAME OUT JUST A LITTLE HEAVIER THAN I WANTED AT 8 POUNDS i AM GOING TO HAVE TO LOOK INTO REMOVING SOME MATERIAL OUT OF THE STOCK OR FIND A MOUNTAIN RIFLE STOCK FOR IT ALL IN ALL I THINK IT TURNED OUT PRETTY GOOD FOR MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT SOMETHING LIKE THIS.

Attachments

• IMG_20230603_150005_627.jpg
    IMG_20230603_150005_627.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230603_150023_108.jpg
    IMG_20230603_150023_108.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230603_150046_722.jpg
    IMG_20230603_150046_722.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
Do you have a bullet in mind? If Rangers are relatively short and animals not too big, it would be hard to beat the 85 grain Zoomie with some Varget underneath it. Should be able to add 50 to 100 ft on top of what the beanmore guys are getting.

Nice looking rifle.

So I got to take the rifle out with some others this morning (still compiling data to share), and this guy has a promising load coming soon I had some plinking fire forming rounds to shoot and was able to get a nice 3 leaf 🍀 at 100 I could cover with a nickel with a 3-9 power scope. I did notice when cleaning the patches run through very smoothly. Mcgowan barrels seem to make a quality product so far. I also figured out I have to do a little tweaking on the bottom metal inlet on the stock, the magazine doesn't quite go in far enough to pick up the second round in it, the bolt just skips off.

I did notice when cleaning the patches run through very smoothly. Mcgowan barrels seem to make a quality product so far.
I have had good luck with McGowan barrels in the past, just couldn't stand dealing with the guy who took the orders. Seems he has the social skills of a grizzly with a hernia.
I believe Carbon six uses McGowan barrels in their carbon fiber barrels. I've used several of them in the past as well and have been very pleased.

Last edited:
I'm glad I've got mine and it's zeroed in. You're right, I talked to him on the phone earlier this year and your description seems spot on.

Back