Salami, Mettwurst, Sausage and Smallgoods

CBH Australia

Hammer Time Executive member
Who makes Salami?
This is something I started last year after years of wanting to try it.
I enjoy What we call smallgoods being mostly the cooked ready to eat cold meats. Smoked or Cured , cooked and refrigerated, so long as it's made of meat.
I'm funny about Pork. I only like it if it's been processed, Ham, Bacon and Salami make Pork so much better.
I don't really know what Summer Sausage is.
I plan to harvest some Venison next month so I'm hoping to come home and make some fresh sausage for the BBQ and some Smallgoods.
Probably buy Pork again for Ham and Bacon
Didn't want to derail a cooking thread but thought I'd start something here.

@LightTheTower how would you describe Summer Sausage? I have not seen it by that name in Australia.

I suppose Summer Sausage is summer sausage to Americans but in some ways some Smallgoods a have similar characteristics in ingredients and method.

I'm about 3 batches in but everyone's method varies a little on the same variety the same for ingredients. I think there could be a bit of interchangeability so long as we keep it cold and clean or ensure any cooking process reaches target temp.

Hi Temp cheese seems to be at a premium and only available in bulk as you mentioned. I tried to get some for a fresh sausage that basically had the same ingredient make up as a Meat lovers Pizza topping.

@LightTheTower how would you describe Summer Sausage? I have not seen it by that name in Australia.

I suppose Summer Sausage is summer sausage to Americans but in some ways some Smallgoods a have similar characteristics in ingredients and method.

I'm about 3 batches in but everyone's method varies a little on the same variety the same for ingredients. I think there could be a bit of interchangeability so long as we keep it cold and clean or ensure any cooking process reaches target temp.

Hi Temp cheese seems to be at a premium and only available in bulk as you mentioned. I tried to get some for a fresh sausage that basically had the same ingredient make up as a Meat lovers Pizza topping.
Summer Sausage has a similar flavor as Salami… a bit spicier, a bit more “twang”😬

i tried making salami/soprasetta/pepperoni with the Umai kit after watching some youtube videos on it. allows to it cure / dry out correctly in the refrigerator. takes a few weeks, then vac seal and let it go longer for the moisture to even out. turned out excellent and now im looking to get into a more specific ($$$) curing chamber to make various diffetent salamis and charcuterie.

Summer sausage id say is a little different than salami, there are many different ways of doing it. ive done the way where you add encapsulated citric acid and hot smoke it- slowly add heat until it gets up to temp, 155? i cant remember. came out excellent, kids love it too. it has a tangy taste. i also like adding jalapenos and hi temp cheddar.

Don't make it, but my butcher/processor does. I usually have 1 whole deer made into summer sausage each year.
His is smoked/cooked. I like the jalapeno & cheese too. Eat it for lunch ea day. His doesn't have as much seasoning as salami does. But is dryish like salami.

Back