Scope bottomed out

Poc

Loading for a rifle that has a ZEISS 5-25 HD5 scope and poi is 3” higher than prior loads. I have run out of down travel to zero the scope . One piece base and leupold rings. The bell of the scope clears the barrel by only 1/8”.

Any suggestions???

20, 30, 40mm Rail

Do you mean 'canted', because that would just make the problem worse.

I'm thinking it's likely the zero stop in the scope.

That particular scope only allows 16.5 moa of adjustment with the zero stop in.

My recommendation is to take the zero stop out, zero the scope, and put the zero stop back in the turret.

Burris z-rings are another alternative - they have different inserts between the ring and the scope that allow adjustment for alignment purposes.

Definitely check the zero stop first though 🤓

Last edited:
I have had several scopes bottom out when I have a 20 moa rail on them. Some scopes just don't have enough vertical travel. If it doesn't have a 20 moa rail the problem will be in the scope. Check online for how to set the zero stop if it's available on that model.

Poc, after a little looking the information I've found shows that scope has a 1" tube and no zero stop. If it has a 20 moa rail that will be your problem as a 1" tube is unlikely to have enough travel to compensate. It should be stamped on the mount if it has. It seems a little odd the POI has changed 3" but not unheard of. If you can't find anything stamped on the mount looking carefully from the side you will see the scope angled down slightly in the front if it has a 20 moa rail. The bell being close to the barrel is inconsequential. A miss is a good as a mile :)

Welcome to the forum

No numbers on the base but definitely thinner toward the front and thicker at the rear. I tried to measure the difference with calipers but it was too tight. So… if I get a 0 MOA base I should be ok???

Thanks again for everyone’s help!

No numbers on the base but definitely thinner toward the front and thicker at the rear. I tried to measure the difference with calipers but it was too tight. So… if I get a 0 MOA base I should be ok???

Thanks again for everyone’s help!
Well, to confuse the issue most bases are thicker at the rear as the back of the receiver is usually flattened somewhat. What kind of rifle is it on?

Hank Skills thinks it could have a zero stop. Apparently they made different style turrets so this could also be the issue. Well get it sorted eventually.

I found a photo that shows the difference between the two turrets;

36240266324_d6b10fd33f_b.jpg

Basically, if the turret is capped, it doesn't have a zero stop.

BUT

If it looks like that one in the bottom left of the image (with exposed numbers, no cap) it is the 'Target Turret' with zero stop.

Are you able to tell us which turret you have there @Poc ?

The best way to get the maximum use of your elevation is the use of Burris Signature rings. Z-rings for picatinny mount, or traditional dual dovetail style. To start, you count the elevation turret clicks from one end to the other and divide by 2. That would get the crosshairs optically centered in the scope. Use the numbered ring inserts to boresight the scope to gun.

It’s on a Howa 1500. And it does have the locking target turret like the circular picture.
Excellent! That's most likely going to be the issue then. You just need to figure out how the zero stop works. Hand Skills will probably show up and he can help you with that better than I can or you might be able to find some instructions online.

Regards

Back