Speed -vs- Weight 20% Factor

OutdoorEdventure

Staff member
Copper bullets are typically 20% lighter than CC bullets. The difference is made up with copper bullets by reducing weight and increasing bullet length.
I ran real world velocities for the 6.5CM, 20” barrel, Hornady 143 ELDX (box) ammo and the 125gr Hammer HHT, my load.
Hornady has 1600 FPS POI for proper expansion, which puts it at roughly 750 yards. Hammer HHT’s have a 1700 FPS POI for proper expansion, which puts it at roughly 725 yards.
Considering most people don’t hunt beyond 200 yards. Hammer HHT has more velocity and POI energy over Hornady by 250 FPS and 125 Ft.lbs (if you think ft.lbs is a measurable equation - which I don’t).
600 yards is where Hornady has a 10 ft.lbs over the HHT. By the time each bullet gets to their minimal POI FPS it’s about a 50 ft.lbs difference.
I like to see numerical differences it seems like bullet speed over bullet weight takes the win.

Hornady 143 ELDX
IMG_4942.jpeg

125 Hammer HHT
IMG_4943.jpeg

Copper bullets are typically 20% lighter than CC bullets. The difference is made up with copper bullets by reducing weight and increasing bullet length.
I ran real world velocities for the 6.5CM, 20” barrel, Hornady 143 ELDX (box) ammo and the 125gr Hammer HHT, my load.
Hornady has 1600 FPS POI for proper expansion, which puts it at roughly 750 yards. Hammer HHT’s have a 1700 FPS POI for proper expansion, which puts it at roughly 725 yards.
Considering most people don’t hunt beyond 200 yards. Hammer HHT has more velocity and POI energy over Hornady by 250 FPS and 125 Ft.lbs (if you think ft.lbs is a measurable equation - which I don’t).
600 yards is where Hornady has a 10 ft.lbs over the HHT. By the time each bullet gets to their minimal POI FPS it’s about a 50 ft.lbs difference.
I like to see numerical differences it seems like bullet speed over bullet weight takes the win.

Hornady 143 ELDX
View attachment 5572

125 Hammer HHT
View attachment 5573
I’ve been saying this for a long time. Running the 123gr absolute in my creedmore. The gap was around 30 yards for max range. Dated this many many times on lrh only for it to be ignored or danced around. Well and blocked from certain members who clearly only ever want to stand up and tell people what they should be shooting.

I’ve been saying this for a long time. Running the 123gr absolute in my creedmore. The gap was around 30 yards for max range. Dated this many many times on lrh only for it to be ignored or danced around. Well and blocked from certain members who clearly only ever want to stand up and tell people what they should be shooting.

That's the nature of lrh. There are those on lrh that will argue with a fence post, and get down rite rude.

Back