This is what I would like to know from seasoned Hammer hunters

Is the 122gr HHT, appropriately loaded, from a 270 Weatherby mag (1-10" twist) going to humanly kill an elk inside of 500 yards? Lets just assume it is a well placed broadside shot on a bull elk, or would the 124gr HH be a better choice. I know there is no perfect answer but I am hoping to be as well prepared as I can be for my first elk hunt. I've never had a problem killing whitetail but this is a different animal and I am a rookie. In fact I've yet to load a Hammer!

I took a 131 HHH on my first ever elk hunt last year. I didn’t get a shot, but I had supreme confidence in the bullet doing the job.
122 HHT
3400 mv (looks easily achievable)
= >2300 impact velocity @ 500 yds
As long as your barrel is a TRUE 10 twist (measure it!), I believe you could have supreme confidence.

Gday Rex
Thankyou for installing confidence in me that people are looking @ this from a ethical position first

That’s the hardest thing to do in the world of the so called perfect shots we see today & why I love this place as we accept the crap happens & try to lesson it

By you looking @ it this way you have done just that
Tip my hat sir

Now the pill choice & no first hand experience with that particular one
but what I do know is the hht covers more bases than any other pill design
Then some guys have used the 117hh on elk with pretty impressive results
You lowest velocity impact @500 is in a really good impact range
If it’s a 3400 impact & in a knuckle no need to worry as the hammer alloy will ouch through

So to me you’ve covered as many bases as you can & time to get a packet & work them up ( LTT verify twist is important first ) which the guys here will be more than willing to help out with that process as hammers are a little different to load if we wish as saves components compared to what way a lot of us use to do

Cheers

Thanks Guys. Thank you Farleg for the kind words as well as your attitude toward those creatures. I verified the twist by going back to Weatherby's data and I did the old cleaning rod with a tape flag to measure distance covered after one full turn of the flag. It's just that I will be doing something I've never done before and (hopefully) killing a larger, much tougher animal than the whitetails I've hunted with a larger bullet. I understand the technology behind Hammers, but it reminds me of when I jumped out of an airplane and the cattle looked like fine black pepper down below, just have to trust your chute will open even if you never saw the guy who packed it. LOL

Oh no sir, I was talking about going light for caliber. I used to shoot a 200 grain Sierra Game King in my 300 rum, now I shoot 137 grain hammer and never look back.

I ain't jumping out of no plane and ain't no bungee jumper here neither.

Just sayin

Oh no sir, I was talking about going light for caliber. I used to shoot a 200 grain Sierra Game King in my 300 rum, now I shoot 137 grain hammer and never look back.

I ain't jumping out of no plane and ain't no bungee jumper here neither.

Just sayin
LOL Yeah we're on the same page in a weird way I guess. It is good to hear from all you guys that have experience with these bullets and elk. That was exactly what I needed to hear. I will now spend time developing a load while shaking rust off my shooting ability. This is a great forum, glad I found Hammer bullets and Hammer Time.

Is the 122gr HHT, appropriately loaded, from a 270 Weatherby mag (1-10" twist) going to humanly kill an elk inside of 500 yards? Lets just assume it is a well placed broadside shot on a bull elk, or would the 124gr HH be a better choice. I know there is no perfect answer but I am hoping to be as well prepared as I can be for my first elk hunt. I've never had a problem killing whitetail but this is a different animal and I am a rookie. In fact I've yet to load a Hammer!
I'm new to Hammers too but prior to this I hunted elk for several years with just a 25-06 and they dropped like a rock even with inferior bullets. Your 270WM is more than capable.
I don't know if your traveling out west for elk but if you are bring an extra box of handloads to test and possibly adjust your zero at the altitude your hunting. Other than that read up on elk habits and enjoy the hunt.

I jumped out of a perfectly good plane once and wont be doing that again. I suppose it was worth the experience they say, I certainly wont ever forget it. :)

Do your homework here and Let Her Eat

Do your homework here and Let Her Eat
Yes Butterbean that is exactly what I am doing. This forum is replete with knowledge I intend to make good use of. Knowledge turns to wisdom through experience, making use of others experience is wisdom in itself I believe. One experience I've had is a bout with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever from a tick, it nearly erased all my memory and I don't have the time left to acquire a lifetime of experience on my own. This forum is a great place for me to learn and use the vast knowledge and experience of others and you my friend have been part of that. Thank you.

Back